What do I need to know about chucks before buying a four-jaw?

Mauser lover

Registered
Registered
Obviously, I'm a beginner! And this is a very beginner question!

I'm looking to purchase a four-jaw independent chuck. How do I make sure it will attach to my machine? I've searched this site, as well as spending some time on that other forum where hobby guys are not as welcome...

I've seen all sorts of advice regarding quality and cost and other stuff, but no information about making sure it fits!

Now, I'm pretty sure there is a specification on every advertisement for chucks out there, but I'm missing it. What are the specs I need to know, and where can I find instruction on this sort of stuff?

Short version... What chucks fit my lathe, and how do I tell?

Thanks for the help!

Easy. Look up the spindle specs on your lathe. It will tell you the configuration you need. Budget class lathes usually have a 3 or 4-bolt arrangement (usually with some DIN specification) and some of these also have a locking ring. Others spindles will be threaded with a thread specific to the model you have. Still others will have a camlock spindle, while industrial lathes have their own systems. It really depends on your lathe so which model do you have and maybe we can help you sort it out.

What is the make, model, size, etc. of your lathe? What type of mount is used for mounting your chuck; thread on, D1-3, D1-4, etc.?

Uh-huh... It is a Millport 1236. I haven't found much of anything that I was sure was really it.

I'm afraid my limited understanding and lack of experience is limiting my understanding of what ya'll are saying... I read that other linked thread. I can't reach that shelf! I'm going to need some sort of edumacation so I can reach that high...

What in the world is D1-3, D1-4?

I'll try to get a good (okay, decent) picture of what I've got already, and post it up tomorrow...
What I know at the moment: My three jaw chuck attaches to a faceplate (I think that's what it is called) with three bolts. I have not been able to get the faceplate off. (I'm very determined. I tried once and gave up pretty quickly because I figured I might be doing something I shouldn't.) Should I try to get the faceplate off?

If you could post more pictures of your lathe it would be helpful. From the few pictures in your earlier post, it's difficult to tell how the face plate is mounted. As mentioned by another member, your lathe looks like it could be part of the Jet 1024/1236 family of lathes, with the exception the lever in the upper left corner..... If it is part of the Jet family of lathes, then there's a good chance the chuck/face plate is mounted the same (which were threaded on to the spindle).
223421-399d11e654fca9097e2138f7965dbe2a.jpg

As it stands, one of your earlier pictures (pasted above) shows the face plate with the chuck removed. So the style of chuck currently on your lathe appears to be a "plain back" chuck, as it's "plain back" mounts to the flat surface of the face plate. But pictures will help us determine how the face plate is mount to your chuck.

Last edited:
If you could post more pictures of your lathe it would be helpful. From the few pictures in your earlier post, it's difficult to tell how the face plate is mounted. As mentioned by another member, your lathe looks like it could be part of the Jet 1024/1236 family of lathes, with the exception the lever in the upper left corner..... If it is part of the Jet family of lathes, then there's a good chance the chuck/face plate is mounted the same (which were threaded on to the spindle).
223421-399d11e654fca9097e2138f7965dbe2a.jpg

As it stands, one of your earlier pictures (pasted above) shows the face plate with the chuck removed. So the style of chuck currently on your lathe appears to be a "plain back" chuck, as it's "plain back" mounts to the flat surface of the face plate. But pictures will help us determine how the face plate is mount to your chuck.

Also, when you post pictures of the lathe headstock/faceplate, please also post a picture of the back of the chuck you just removed!

It must be common for us new metal lathe people to be confused on getting a new chuck to fit.
I figured in the paper manual of my lathe it would give a size that relates to a size listed with chucks. But it appears to be a little more complicated and like all things has multiple ways of getting the same results.
I found this thread helpful...https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/lathe-chuck-mounts.7598/
Thank god for all the helpful knowledgeable people on this forum who can give us some good direction. Thanks

Back