What do I use to make a height gage scriber?

I use a height gauge scriber to make height gauge scribers. This seems to be the easiest and least expensive method.

I understand why you would think buying is the least expensive method but you need to remember many of us here are retired hobbyists and building something from scratch is where the fun is.

I understand why you would think buying is the least expensive method but you need to remember many of us here are retired hobbyists and building something from scratch is where the fun is.
I fully understand your position however an import scribe tool is one of the least expensive tools that you will buy. You can buy one in a Red Box for $43.20 and you then have a Red Box tool to show off to friends and visitors (-:
Many feel that this is worth the money.

A rectangular scriber, as are common on most height gages are commonly made of O-1 tool steel, and hardened, and to my opinion, best ground to a radius on the scribing surface; otherwise, they just scribe on the corners and get dull easily, the radius can scribe on its whole width and keep sharp much longer. Nothing wrong with carbide, buy not so necessary for limited hobby use, and more difficult to sharpen. Tungsten TIG electrode for scribing is just plain silly, first it is round, and difficult to grind a concentric point for a repeatable tool to be used on a height gage.
For just hand scribers, I have used the quills from a needle scaling gun, easy to sharpen and reasonably hard, and be re hardened to be harder.

Made mine from an old file. Used abrasive wheels to shape and didn't hurry (to keep down heat). May not be the best but it works.

Chuck

I would use a hardened scrap piece of tool steel.
A rectangular scriber, as are common on most height gages are commonly made of O-1 tool steel,
The tool steel gets the first choice .
benmychrre new ideas may sound silly but I'm hobbyist and don't shy away from experimenting ,or thinking outside the box, just look at the last post ,jubil used an old file, but I admit ,tig electrodes would not be my first choice. lol.
Thanks for the tip on how to grind the scriber, I also like the idea of using quills from a needle scaling gun.
Great replies so far and very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Given that your scribe needs to be able to extend down to the reference surface, I would buy the scribe and focus on making the rectangular clamp to bind it to the movable foot. Here is a stainless steel scribe with a carbide tip for cheap: https://www.amazon.ca/scriber-Heigh...40963748&sr=8-21&keywords=height+gauge+scribe

This is what you would need to make, fit specifically to your needs: https://www.amazon.ca/HHIP-4300-015...540963948&sr=1-10&keywords=height+gauge+clamp

I can understand wanting to make everything from scratch, believe me, but sometimes you also need to be practical. A carbide scriber will likely last the rest of your life, for under $15 Canadian.

Hi Ken,

Quite interesting reading these following posts !
Since I too am retired and like to salvage things to build things with, I don't see the point in spending money needlessly.

Ken whilst I also have some tig electrodes, it is far easier to use a broken carbide PCB drill bit. I've made a scriber like the one in that advert and sharpened it to a 45 degree point using a Dremal and green wheel in the lathe.30-09-2018-004.JPG30-09-2018-007.JPG

Once you cut off the caliper leg, you have your scriber ! Not only is it hardened its also stainless like the rest of the caliper.
Whilst I remember ! Remove the depth probe before you assemble the caliper in the frame. Too easy to poke your eye out.

To answer your question ! Yes the only way to set the hight that you want is to rotate the brass knob. Unfortunately unless you use a different thread on the screw, you will need to turn it 25 times and a bit for 1" inch.

I actually did a calibration on mine using gauge blocks, and without using the readout found that I could set it within 3/10ths of a thou just counting turns, and the readout confirmed that. Which I found very pleasing.

If you want more detail its no problem.

Back