[Lathe] What Do You All Consider"vintage?"

madsweeney

Registered
Registered
What is the general consensus for "vintage?" I just picked up a early-seventies Craftsman 6. Is that considered vintage? If not, what might be the most appropriate forum? Right now, I've just been looking in the beginner forum, since I know very little about this stuff.

If it was a car then the following would apply which would mean its a modern classic.
Veteran & Edwardian, manufactured prior to December 31st 1918.
Vintage, manufactured between January 1st 1919 and December 31st 1930.
Post Vintage, manufactured between January 1st 1931 and December 31st 1949.
Classic Acceptance, manufactured between January 1st 1950 and December 31st 1969.
Modern Classic, manufactured between January 1st 1970 and December 31st 1989.”

Probably the Atlas, Craftsman and Clausing forum would be the most appropriate for that machine. I believe that this the Antique and Vintage was created for other old machinery that didn't fall under the other manufacturer forums. To me antique for machinery is anything that was originaly lineshaft drive or hand operated (or a combination). Vintage probably depends on what you are talking about. Shapers and planers would probably fall under this category regardless of when they were manufactured. But these are just my opinion and I don't think the moderators have put forth a formal definition, nor do I think they need to. Congrats on your purchase.

In wine, Vintage, followed by a year, means the year it was harvested. This is where it started, and any use other than this is open to interpretation.

In the Antique Glass and China field, Vintage means 1) made after 100 years ago (the newest "legal" antiques)), and 2) no longer in production.

I have no idea how this applies to machinery.

If it was a car then the following would apply which would mean its a modern classic.
Veteran & Edwardian, manufactured prior to December 31st 1918.
Vintage, manufactured between January 1st 1919 and December 31st 1930.
Post Vintage, manufactured between January 1st 1931 and December 31st 1949.
Classic Acceptance, manufactured between January 1st 1950 and December 31st 1969.
Modern Classic, manufactured between January 1st 1970 and December 31st 1989.”

Savarin,
This is good. But, what labels are left for 1989 and newer?

Daryl
MN

In Norway, vintage means manufactured at least 30 years ago. My personal take is vintage means prior to modern mass production methods using cnc or nc.

My reasoning is that vintage with regards to machines implies an older manufacturing method and a hands-on manufacturing cycle. I know this is highly personal but this is my take. For this reason my idea of vintage is from mid 70's and older.

Back