What do you call ?

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’m looking for a set of wrenches that I used to have a set of, but have slowly been misplaced over the years. They are box end on both ends, and different sizes. So there’s a 5/16 and 3/8 on one wrench, and a 1/2-9/16 on another. I tried “combination wrench”, but that’s not right. Anybody know what they call these wrenches?

Thank you, that got it!

A combination wrench has a box wrench on one end and an open end wrench on the other end

I thought so, but being at a loss for the proper search term, I’d hoped it would get me close. I’ve also got some that are open in one size on one end, and box end of another size on the other end. Any ideas what to call those? Lol

Maybe I’m mistaken. Here are the only examples I can find floating around here.

46A12E86-B97A-4425-AF79-5C95522DE521.jpeg

Seems pretty clear what is what, and who is who in the zoo.

Like these? The Snappies I use for automotive work though, 0° offset & extra long makes them awesome for working on cars. The single wrench I use exclusively for my mill, 3/4" on one end for my vise, rotary table, & super spacer, & 7/8" on the other end for my clamping set.

I've always called the ones with box end on both ends simply "box wrench". Open on both ends "open end wrench", of course open & box "combination wrenches". Although sometimes I refer to combo wrenches as open end when I'm asking someone to hand me one like if I'm under a car, "hey can you hand me a 17mm open end", the person I'm asking usually knows what I'm referring to even if they aren't very familiar with tools. Having worked in automotive for many years, which most of my hands tools are from, I don't even own an double end open end wrench.

20180520_201522.jpg

20180520_201545.jpg

Back