What do you do when you have lost your hearing and sight?

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am not looking for sympathy and this is a valid question that is affecting my mother. She has been an active 96-year-old woman in an out of state nursing home. About 2 weeks ago she had a mild stroke. The result has been that she lost most of her eyesight and hearing. My first thought was that I cannot communicate with her without going to her. Then I talked with my brother who lives in the same town. He said that he has great difficulty talking to her in person. Then I started thinking about her situation. What happens to a person when they lose those two primary senses? It has got to be something like being condemned to terminal solitary confinement. Is there any way to overcome this situation? Is there some technology that might help. She already has a reader phone that she can no longer read and high dollar hearing aids that are no longer effective.

Randy

I dont know your religious beliefs but at 96 I would just pray for a painless relatively fast death. I wish you the best of luck with it all.

There are magnification sheets that can be placed over written documents to enlarge the print. Writing letters to her may help.

I appreciate your (and her) situation. Actually, if I was that old I think I would welcome the peace and quiet :)
Best regards
Mark

With my handwriting, no amount of magnification would make it legible B-}
Probably typing her a letter would be a better option. Good suggestion and worth a try.
Thanks
Randy

With my handwriting, no amount of magnification would make it legible B-}
Probably typing her a letter would be a better option. Good suggestion and worth a try.
Thanks
Randy
That's a good idea but use a computer that you can enlarge the text. It may help.

Chuck

Poor thing, that's awful. My mom is 86, she is sharp as a tack but can's see or hear much anymore.
Getting old ain't for wimps.
I'm sorry for your situation, we love our mums.

At 96 going on 97, I don't think she is going to be able to learn it, but I will ask. It would be an excellent suggestion for somebody younger.

Randy

Back