What do you guys think of the Williams #51 Threading Tool?

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
Registered
I use almost exclusively hss tooling on my Clausing 6329 lathe.
Would this make my life easier?
Screenshot_20190417-121838.png

They do work well, very easy to sharpen, just touch up the top face. I bought one out of curiosity more than anything but have only used it once. The curve in the shank makes it somewhat awkward to use, especially on a Hardinge where space between centers is tight due to the wide carrage.
Did cut a nice thread tough.

Greg

You can get QCTP adaptors that use them, I have some spare cutters like that and plan to make a holder for them to use on an AXA QCTP.

I have one but have not used it yet. like the form tool type for the qctp. but will have to give it a try.

I use the triangular inserts that stand vertically, sort of the same idea as the OP. Works great in the QC tool holder. Zero fuss.

If you want to make your life even easier take a look at the Aloris quick change threading tool holders and blades.

They're a bit pricey, but if you do a fair amount of threading they are well worth the money. I use the AXA-8 model on a Phase II quick change tool post.

Good to know, I have both the Aloris and the #51.
I haven't used either yet. Easy to sharpen for sure.

Ok, don't laugh or make fun of me, but I have 2 four ways and a lantern tool holders. One of the four ways is a largish enco that can take 1" tools and the smaller four way takes 5/16" hss and it ratchets. I love my smaller four way tool holder!

No quick changers yet.

I had one of these left over from my lantern TP days. I made an adaptor for my QCTP. Awkward but cuts threads as good as any quality tool. That said, I use it at times but only because I already have it. If I were buying a threading tool it would be an insert tool.

Back