What do you use for lubrication on watchmaker's lathe centers?

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
Registered
I swear I read this same topic elsewhere - it might be this forum but I can't find it now. And even if it was on this forum, I don't think it was directed at watchmaker's lathes.

What lubrication should I be using on a watchmaker's-lathe-sized dead center? I normally use collets for workholding, and sometimes a 3-jaw or a 4-jaw chuck. But when I'm turning long (I mean 3" or 4" or longer), I drill a centerhole and support the end with a dead center on my tailstock. I have been using a drop or two of Mobil-1 0-20W motor oil, but it disappears too quickly.

In whatever thread I was looking at yesterday, at least a couple of people said they like STP motor oil treatment. I can kind of see that, because it's made to stick to metal and too thick to run. But I think whoever said that was talking about the larger lathes... ...still, it sounds viable enough to go ahead and try...

What do you guys say?

Graphite grease is the lube of choice for centers.

Tom

Graphite grease is the lube of choice for centers.

Tom

Graphite grease - ah, that's interesting. Is that true for watchmaker's sized lathes as well?

Anyone else with opinions/suggestions?

Yes I have an opinion my vote is for high pressure grease either graphite impregnated or other...

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I've been using a graphite-impregnated high pressure grease for a couple of weeks now. A little bit goes a long way - I had a small can of it, but it will last a lifetime. So far I like it MUCH better than the synthetic oil I had been using. Haven't had a chance to try STP, maybe later. So far the heavy grease gets the job done. It held my project in place for the duration of a whole turning operation. The operation was fairly demanding, so I think I gave the grease a good workout - and it held up. Onward! :thumbsup:

Back