What do you use to do tapping on a mill or lathe?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
How do you do tapping on a mill or lathe without encountering clearance problems?

Here are a few ideas I have found:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/improved-chuck-for-taps.html

This is a standard 0-3/8" drill chuck with a 3/8" x 24 threaded mount. A short length of 3/8" dia steel rod for a shaft. Old long shank drill bit for a handle. The shaft rides in a standard 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD oilite bearing. Just chuck this thing into the mill, drill press or lathe tailstock. This size does 1/4 x 20 into steel. 3/8 x 40 into cast iron.

This is how I do it and have seen machinists do it for years.

I almost entirely use spiral point taps in the lathe or mill. I hold the tap with a ball bearing chuck. Run mill/lathe on a slow speed.

Lathe: With the lathe running, leave the tailstock binder loose, push the tailstock until the tap engages the stock and let the tap pull the tailstock along...Then:
Mill: With the mill running, feed the quill down and engage the tap and allow the tap to pull the quill down...Then:

Anticipate and stop the machine before it gets to the end of the tap run. I usually finish tapping the hole to ful depth by hand. if the tap goes to the hole bottom.

On the rare occasions that I have to use a non-spiral point tap. I start the tap as above but do most of the process with a tap handle.

Charlie W.

I just stick the tap in the chuck and tap under power. Watch the tap when it slips back out . Use plenty of tapping fluid. Some are better than others.

Back