What Do You Use To Draw/design Projects?

So mostly sketch things out with paper and pencil. I have Fusion 360, still working on that... I've been away from AutoCAD for over a decade, so a lot has changed!!! I still have all of my drafting tools from the days before CAD, and I still use them sometimes too.:chunky:

Biro = Ballpoint Pen, invented by Ladislas Biro
A4 = metric paper size, A4 measures 210 × 297 millimeters or 8.27 × 11.69

Biro has become the default generic name for a ball point pen. and A4 paper is the standard size of printer paper used in most of the world, I think in USA they use something different. incidentally half an A4 is an A5, and an A4 is an A3 cut in half. Etc.

OK, a little off topic......

Biro has become the default generic name for a ball point pen.

....maybe in your part of the world, I had never heard it before.....and will probably never use it.
Perhaps it's just me turning old and grumpy, but why rename something we already have a perfectly good name for?
-brino

because Biro is quicker than saying "Ball point pen" ?
Bit like "Hoover" being the generic name for vacuum cleaners.
One day everyone will learn how to spell Aluminium correctly. :laughing: sorry, been doing a bit too much of this :beer:

Different parts of the world, different names for things. A Belt Sander in England is a Linisher. Not a big deal, I just wondered what it was. Thank you for the explanations folks. Learned something new today.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
For the longest time Charles I could not figure that word out either. When I first saw it I said to myself, "Why don't they just use a Belt Sander." Then I was enlightened to what it was. Origin of the word, I don't know either.

"Billy G"

because Biro is quicker than saying "Ball point pen" ?

....except it turns out to be waaaay longer than either "ball-point pen"(unusual to say all that) or simply "pen" (more normal) since you then have to explain to everyone what "biro" means!

I do "get" the regional differences in terms and the enjoyment of conversation and learning something new.

However, since we are off topic, that's the last you'll hear from me on this.

-brino

Last edited:
Back