What Do You Use To Draw/design Projects?

Another factor here is that I use Linux (Mint) now & ProgeCAD won't work with it. I plan to replace my hard drive with a solid-state memory soon & afterward I'll probably give LibreCAD a try.

Another factor here is that I use Linux (Mint) now & ProgeCAD won't work with it. I plan to replace my hard drive with a solid-state memory soon & afterward I'll probably give LibreCAD a try.
Would Wine work to get ProgeCAD to function on 'Nix?

I'm curious how you fared with that. I decided I finally need to trade my notebook paper and pencil for CAD, because I'm trying to design something way more complicated and dimensionally-critical than my usual projects. I started with an "apt cache search cad" and that didn't prove to be a very auspicious beginning. After digging a bit deeper, but still at a glance, it doesn't look like any of the Linux CAD projects achieved any real momentum. Stuff at version 0.x, last updated three years ago, and so forth. That's what Linux on the desktop looked like 20 years ago. Other than the desktops themselves, which are probably the biggest projects other than the distros, it seems like Linux is just going to be stuck in limbo forever. That makes me sad, but I spent more than 10 years actively working to do something about it, and all those hours I volunteered added up to barely a ripple in the pond. I'm a respected Linux audio developer who switched to Windows for audio work, and it looks like I'm going to need Windows for CAD too. Sigh.

Fusion 360 has been great for my needs. Have had some issues with getting it set for hobby use free, but once resolved no problems since .

My Fusion 360 just expired. All I needed to do was download the new version and once it installed it automagically updated my subscription.
Here is a link that helps explain the different Fusion licenses. Fusion 360 Subscription Types.

I'm curious how you fared with that. I decided I finally need to trade my notebook paper and pencil for CAD, because I'm trying to design something way more complicated and dimensionally-critical than my usual projects. I started with an "apt cache search cad" and that didn't prove to be a very auspicious beginning. After digging a bit deeper, but still at a glance, it doesn't look like any of the Linux CAD projects achieved any real momentum. Stuff at version 0.x, last updated three years ago, and so forth. That's what Linux on the desktop looked like 20 years ago. Other than the desktops themselves, which are probably the biggest projects other than the distros, it seems like Linux is just going to be stuck in limbo forever. That makes me sad, but I spent more than 10 years actively working to do something about it, and all those hours I volunteered added up to barely a ripple in the pond. I'm a respected Linux audio developer who switched to Windows for audio work, and it looks like I'm going to need Windows for CAD too. Sigh.
I swore off Windows about 10 years ago and moved to Ubuntu Linux. My life became infinitely better in this department... Gone are the endless updates cycles, registration issues etc and the "cute new functionality" that is actually for beginners and reduces productivity.

For CAD I am using QCAD (native under Linux, Windows and Mac) and I decided to go with the paid version (very inexpensive) because it has support for DXF files. It is a very good, stable and mature program for 2D with reasonable learning curve. There is also a CAM module available which I don't have (yet...)

At some point I was using SketchUp through VirtualBox on Linux that I find way better than Wine that never really worked for me. After Google sold SketchUp it was over. I am also a long time member of EAA and might try to take advantage of the Fusion 360 deal.

Linux (also Windows and Mac) has an amazing free electronic CAD tool - KiCAD, the latest development was funded largely by CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) and it helped make it into a very capable professional product. I wish that at some point there will be some good 3D CAD programs available with a similar caliber.

Ariel

At some point I was using SketchUp through VirtualBox on Linux that I find way better than Wine that never really worked for me. After Google sold SketchUp it was over. I am also a long time member of EAA and might try to take advantage of the Fusion 360 deal.

Ariel

Solidworks is available for us EAA members, not Fusion. See my above link for the Fusion download.

Solidworks is available for us EAA members, not Fusion. See my above link for the Fusion download.

You are right, I got mixed up.

Since I generally do not run Windows anymore (only inside VirtualBox when there is no other choice) and Solidworks has a steep learning curve and I don't really need it, it is not a consideration for me at this point. It is an amazing program and I am working on a medical product with a very experienced mechanical designer that has years of experience using Solidworks. It is just awesome to see how he quickly he redesigns parts with Solidworks and the level of details he can control. When I see it I just say to myself that there is no chance that I will ever get to that skill level... It is muscle memory, it takes years to acquire if you do it daily.

In comparison flying a GA airplane looks easy... do you agree?

Ariel

In comparison flying a GA airplane looks easy... do you agree?

I drive parametric CAD (self taught) as a hobbyist and I'm learning to fly a light aircraft.
CAD is the easy one, and I'm a pretty natural pilot according to my instructor.
Penalty for failure in software is zero. Don't be afraid of making mistakes! The undo button has godlike power. Steep learning curve at the very start, but there's no black magic to the basics and there's an incredible amount of excellent free tuition online.
In the aircraft you're training carefully not to make mistakes with the penalty for doing so being huge. In software, I'd highly encourage you make as many as possible while learning :)

Back