What do you use to protect machines when not in use?

Jmanb13

Registered
Registered
Since I do a mixture of both metal and wood related activities in my garage, I need a way to protect the machines from the dust.

In the past I have thrown a large moving blanket over my lathe and it seems to do ok.
I just got a new PM25 that is already seeing a buildup on it just from cleaning the garage up.

I was thinking of getting something like this to cover it when not in use.
https://www.amazon.com/Moroso-99400-Engine-Storage-Bag/dp/B000COS8LC/

It looks like it would work pretty well.

What does everyone else use to protect their machines if anything?

My machines came with large clear-ish plastic bags over them in the crates.
I put those back on when the machine is not going to be used "for a while".
That is--don't rip the plastic off the crated machines,
but carefully remove the plastic so you can use it again and for a long time.

I also have a mix of wood and metal machines in my shop.

I do not use any covers over the machines.

My metal lathe is to the left of my wood lathe. I have air filter above the wood lathe and a clear piece of plastic hanging down from the air filter to act as a barrier for any debris thrown from the wood lathe. Most of the debris is thrown towards me or to the right.

I do use dust collection when operating the wood machines, or when milling wood on the milling machines. I also clean up any wood debris on the floor after using the machines.

I have not found dust to be a problem on the metal machines but appreciate each persons shop environment may be different.

I typically use some salvaged large old old plastic bags that I cut the sides open to make large rectangles. I throw one over the lathe, one over the surface grinder, and cover only the mill table. I even throw one over the top of the work table I made (has the surface place, extra vises, rotary table, extra lathe chucks, spin indexer, etc on top). They go on quick and can just fold up them up out the way when using everything. I am trying to rust and dust/dirt off of things. In 4 years have not any trouble with rust underneath.

Back