What does everyone think of this Mill

That looks like a great machine-buy it right away! I believe it's very versatile
mark

Last edited:
I have a Fray mill, but a simpler model than that one; yes, they are very versatile, mine has a 30 taper spindle, but some had B&S spindle tapers. They have larger way surfaces than Bridgeports, and are generally heavier, they have a planetary back gear in the driven pulley and have quite a broad speed range, they were made in Los Angeles, Ca.

Should I be concerned with the #7 B&S taper? It only allows up to 1/2 diameter collets. The draw bar is 3/8. If this had the 30 tapper I would already have in my shop. I only have room for 1 mill. It looks like a very interesting machine.

I've seen a number of end mills with smaller shanks than the cutter size. You can always use a straight shank collet chuck held in the #7 collet. You can also get end mill holders that use set screws built to hold larger bits. I expect that machine has enough vertical clearance that the couple inches you lose to the chucks won't be a bother. I use an R8-ER40 adapter in my Bridgeport most of the time just because I find that the ER40s are more flexible for my uses.

I've also heard of people sending the spindle in to be reground, so you might be able to do that. It would likely be the most expensive option and you're without a machine till the job is done.

While a #30, 40 or R8 spindle would give you a lot more availability, the B&S #7 does not present a major problem or "major" limitation. A quick search of ebay shows a number of collets available a reasonable price. And as ttabbal stated above, using straight shanks gives you all the options you should need.
It looks like a good deal and price.
dd

While a #30, 40 or R8 spindle would give you a lot more availability, the B&S #7 does not present a major problem or "major" limitation. A quick search of ebay shows a number of collets available a reasonable price. And as ttabbal stated above, using straight shanks gives you all the options you should need.
It looks like a good deal and price.
dd

Seller is away for the weekend. I have made arrangements with him to go look and buy Monday afternoon. I’m very excited. Have wanted a mill for a long time.

Thanks

Buy it quick , very versatile mill, in some ways it's better then a Bridgeport . Collets can be found they may have them if you ask , must have been used there ?? There's one in my town the guy wants $2,300 been listed forever too. I tried trading since I'm on SS but nothing I had would do . Even a model 52 Winchester didn't get a thought.

Back