What Does Made In U S A Mean?

Charles Spencer

Active User
Registered
I was searching on ebay for some South Bend parts when I saw ads on the bottom of the page. One was for a dead center from Walmart. The idea of Walmart carrying lathe accessories intrigued me so I clicked on it.

Apparently they have a "marketplace", like Sears. I clicked on a tap and die set from Hanson:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hanson-1813817-116-Piece-Tap-Die-Drill-Deluxe-Set-with-PTS-Handle/29699815

When I read the description I found this:

"Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information."

So apparently "Made in USA" doesn't have too much to do with the country of origin at Walmart.

The software seems to keep correcting "Made in USA" to "made in Usa" in the title.

Edit: Removing the quotes and spacing the USA seemed to fix that.

Last edited:
Sears, Walmart, and others are working hard at having search engines always showing them selling what you are looking for and it always being near the top of the first search page. The prices are usually too high and availability is usually lacking. They are apparently trying to exploit a fairly easy way of making it look like they sell everything. Some of the Chinese ads do about the same. I consider it all useless noise at best, contact and financial information grabbing spammers at worst. Annoying to scroll through while trying to find a real company that stocks real products with posted pricing and stocking status up front, ready for immediate shipment. Unfortunately, ignoring their games does not make them go away.

Now that's an interesting twist. Undoubtedly, something their legal department came up with. The FTC regulations regarding the "Made in USA" label also apply to advertising. Given that they are remarketing products from other sellers and most likely the personnel at Walmart don't know a tap and die set from a pair of tap shoes, I can see why they would want to include a disclaimer. It is apparently boilerplate on all of their products.

Bob

"Made in USA" means that all or virtually all of the product is made in America
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard

Walmart knows that many people will not read the disclaimer, or will convince themselves that the disclaimer is just CYA boilerplate. Walmart also does not care if you are happy with your purchase, there are plenty more shoppers out there to replace you.

I find I live just fine with never buying from Walmart or Sears. I find both companies to be a haven for bottom feeding scumbag marketers. The last time I purchased a Craftsman power tool, it was a total PoS. Returning it was so unpleasant that I just never went back. That was probably 15 years ago. I hate every Craftsman tool I own, I expect I will go to my grave and never buy from them again.

"Made in USA" means that all or virtually all of the product is made in America
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard

Walmart knows that many people will not read the disclaimer, or will convince themselves that the disclaimer is just CYA boilerplate. Walmart also does not care if you are happy with your purchase, there are plenty more shoppers out there to replace you.

I find I live just fine with never buying from Walmart or Sears. I find both companies to be a haven for bottom feeding scumbag marketers. The last time I purchased a Craftsman power tool, it was a total PoS. Returning it was so unpleasant that I just never went back. That was probably 15 years ago. I hate every Craftsman tool I own, I expect I will go to my grave and never buy from them again.

Back in the day they were top of the line. They used to be no question asked tool replacement. They used to be Made in America tool company. I haven't been in a Sears in years. Harbor Freight is like the old Sears when it comes to tool exchanges.

There is a city in Japan "Usa" that was founded in the 1960's. The rumor is the they did it so goods shipped from there could be marked "Made in USA".

We had a VERY CRUDE pair of scissors marked made in USA back in the 60's. It must have come from that Japanese city. The key was,there was no period after U.S.A..

I've never really cared where something was made, to me the price to quality ratio was always much more important.

Back