What Does Made In U S A Mean?

Back in the day they were top of the line. They used to be no question asked tool replacement. They used to be Made in America tool company. I haven't been in a Sears in years. Harbor Freight is like the old Sears when it comes to tool exchanges.
I used to shop for all my tools at Sears back in the '60s & 70s. All the Craftsman hand tools had an unlimited lifetime warranty back then. I stopped shopping there where they started to make the departments all cutesie. Clerks working in the tools and hardware department seem to come from the lingerie department and had no idea of what they were selling. I remember asking why they didn't stock lathe bits in their catalog when they were a still selling the lathes. As their selection grew smaller and smaller, their choice as a vendor grew less and less until I finally stopped going in the store altogether.

Bob

I heard recently on TV (you know what that's worth) that ads, (specifically political ads) were not required to be truthful. I find this most disturbing. If it's true, veracity is down the ...whatever. It it extends to any ad, we're really in trouble.

The software seems to keep correcting "Made in USA" to "made in Usa" in the title.

Edit: Removing the quotes and spacing the USA seemed to fix that.
There is a city of Usa in Japan that was marking their products as "MADE IN USA" back in the '50s & "60s. This was back when Japanese quality was as low, generally, as China's is now.

It's not just the walmarts of the world doing that. I work for a major OEM automotive supplier and we have an aftermarket division that receives automotive parts from Japan and repackages them for distribution in the US. Once we touch them they're considered US parts. It works the other way too, we manufacture parts that get shipped to Japan that (I assume) get similar handling. I don't know if it's done for tax or import or other purpose but it's done by all OEMs.

Made in America dosn't mean squat any more for the last ten years , once a company that made decent products goes public " say wall street " there quality goes down and the price goes up and manufacturing is sent overseas , so an investor can make a buck.
They engineer failure into just about everything , that's why landfills are full of crap.
Just my observation of the way things work in this country, I feel sorry for the kids being born in today's world

Last edited:
What does made in the USA mean? It means it was made in two or more parts in a third world factory and a guy in the US put the parts together and shipped it as a single piece.

"Made in USA" means that all or virtually all of the product is made in America
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard

Walmart knows that many people will not read the disclaimer, or will convince themselves that the disclaimer is just CYA boilerplate. Walmart also does not care if you are happy with your purchase, there are plenty more shoppers out there to replace you.

I find I live just fine with never buying from Walmart or Sears. I find both companies to be a haven for bottom feeding scumbag marketers. The last time I purchased a Craftsman power tool, it was a total PoS. Returning it was so unpleasant that I just never went back. That was probably 15 years ago. I hate every Craftsman tool I own, I expect I will go to my grave and never buy from them again.
On that cheerful note.... LOL
Mark S.

What Does Made In U S A Mean?
Sadly not much anymore :( But hopefully it will again :encourage:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN87HcMvv_DGCFJnaf11FK4T42vmqskS32bBF4oAQaoZODzazr.jpg

United States of Amnesty .
If you hunt or fish without a permit or license you go to jail. If you enter our borders illegally, thats ok.!??!!?
How is that senseable?

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Well, I too morn the overall loss of made in U.S.A. parts. But that being said, change is the only constant, and the planet keeps turning. Everyone take a deep breath, look at the beautiful world around you, and keep on trucking, or making chips, as the case may be. Cheers, Mike

Back