What does the Bottom of a Mill Casting Look Like?

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm trying to figure out my caster/foot plan for a new to me Taiwanese 3/4 sized mill. I assumed that the casting had a solid wall surrounding all the mounting holes, but am now wondering if the base is hollow, in which case I'll need to figure out a different plan.

Does anyone know what an Enco 3/4 size mill looks like from the bottom?

For my first Cincy Toolmaster I built a "cart" of 1/4" x 2" equal leg angle.
Welded up at the corners. The base nested inside. Sorry no pics and the mill is now gone.
The front rested on 1" pipe x2. Had a welded on channel in the front center to catch the car jack.
The back had two cast wheels from a commercial high lift jack. Spindle for those wheels was grade 8bolts.
Perhaps imprudent but I wasn't concerned if she was level.
I slipped a little aluminum siding scrap under the pegs in front to keep her from rockin on my uneven floor.
Don't know that this helps. But it's all I got for you.

Daryl
MN

I found out the hard way recently. Put some home made skates under the mill that was dropped off at my place after the hurricane. The skates had only one roller and as you started to move it, the rollers tend to "suck up" under the mill and made things exciting. Mess up two of my good 1/2" studs to my TECO set for the mill.:bawling:

Here's a Bridgeport if that is any help

View attachment 259955

R
That makes it look like I’ll need plan B. The Enco I bought has a sump in the base, so there may be something to mount casters, otherwise I’ll need outriggers or spacers. Oh and it’s Chinese not Taiwanese.

Back