What does the seller mean: I had the ways epoxy coated

I bought an old "flea market" 3 jaw, 6 inch, chuck ($25) , it is a scroll chuck that has independent reversible jaws. It has considerable wear to the jaws and the corresponding grooves that the jaws slide in ( would you call that the "ways" of the jaws, as well?). Is Rulon 142 something that could be used to restore these ways? Is it just not worth the effort?
Larry

I bought an old "flea market" 3 jaw, 6 inch, chuck ($25) , it is a scroll chuck that has independent reversible jaws. It has considerable wear to the jaws and the corresponding grooves that the jaws slide in ( would you call that the "ways" of the jaws, as well?). Is Rulon 142 something that could be used to restore these ways? Is it just not worth the effort?
Larry

I doubt Rulon would work there as it is designed to be used in a clean or semi clean environment and lubricated (under the saddle or unexposed surface of a machine). You could call the engineering dept at Tri-Star and ask them if they have a rougher product. For an experiment as I have never done this, you may try filling it with a steel insert epoxied in a slot you machine into the soft side. Take some pictures and lets take a peek at what you have. Old Devlieg Jig Mills had a steel wear strips epoxied to the cast iron ways from the factory. The Rulon is a soft material and would get ravaged by chips and wear, I am afraid. A hard Nylon might work or Phenolic. It will definitely be more then $25.00. But if you have the time and money, it might be a good project for candidate of the month on here if it is successful. Rich

Back