What Does Universal Mean In A Tool Name ?

OK, I'm getting off topic here but I completely agree with you about Tyrone. He is one smart, experienced dude but, like you, I dislike dictums (dicta ?) without explanations. By coincidence, LOL, one of the surfaces of my Sheldon tailstock has a .010 shim that I installed some time ago ... OK, it's a quick fix and not particularly elegant but hell, it WORKS.

Regarding needing more arbors, maybe this isn't your cuppa' but did you see my post about simple horizontal mill arbors ? For me: so far so good but the NMTB locking nut needs to be seriously tight :) and no helical cutters permitted. This is a limitation, of course, but slotters and saws are real handy on arbors like this one:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/a-very-simple-arbor-for-horizontal-mills.32778/#post-276805

Your anecdote about how you obtained the vertical head is just about as serendipitous as me finding the Lietz. Karma, maybe ?

It is My cuppa tea! I have several Int30 collet chucks, and some 1" (and maybe bigger too) collets, so this would be an emminently doable solution. I can cut the long keyway on the horizontal of course, and the arbor only needs to be "long enough" as I can move the arbor support in to suit! Long arbors are available, but they are between £129-£180 each, and TBH until I go and measure the cutters I have, I don't really know what sizes and how many I need, but I am pretty sure that my arbor is 22mm, and I know that all the older cutters, some of which are unused, are in imperial sizes, probably mostly 1". I am thinking of making a taper turning attachment for one of my lathes, and if I did , turning a int 30 is not difficult given that the taper is a centering taper, not a driving one, so it doesn't need to be as perfect as, say a morse taper. It is a short taper too, so at a push it cou;d probably be turned with the topslide offset.
Phil.

I've concluded that long arbors of the type that I made are really not that necessary. The arbor can be short and the cutter placed near the overarm when it needs to be outboard of the normal location in the center of the arbor. Rigid location and concentric with the overarm bushing - better than using a long arbor IMO.

I'd suppose that the lathe compound should easily have sufficient travel to turn that 30 taper, even the 40 tapers are only three inches long (the tapered length).

I have taper attachments for both lathes (one shop-made the other factory) but I'm hard-pressed to find a use for them, LOL. I've set up one of them for 2 MT (both of the lathes use that taper for the tailstock) in case I need a special tailstock tool. But I've only used it once - It is sort of comforting to have them, however :)

Back