Register Today
It's got .
3 cylinders
6 pistons
12 conecting rods
1 crankshaft.

?????????????

regards Brian

Ok, Smarty britches how a bout a picture of that. It would be pretty interesting to see how it is arrainged. Also what fuel did it use? Steam, gas, diesel, or LNG? Might be a good project for bill when he gets the P&W done and running. Of course he neeeds a large scale corsair air frame to hang it on and fly it around a bit after break-in. My poor heart couldnt stand that much adrenalin trying not to crash it. Could be fun though....(Hint hint, Bill)
Bob

Ok I asked for that!

First a ghastly picture the best I can do on the quick..

img132.jpg

The pistons are shown half way thro the stroke moveing out to open the ports.

The exhaust opens first shortly followed by the inlet, this alows scavenge air to clear the cylinder.

As the pistons move in the ex closes first alowing the blower to supercharge the cylinder.

The pistons then move in to the centre then diesel fuel is injected between them,, combustion starts and the pistons move out again.

Large rockers transfer this movement to the crank.

The early modles had a in line injection pump driven at engine speed , But later this was changed to a distributor type CAV DPA driven at 1/2 engine speed REMEMBER this is a 2 cycle engine
Work that one out?????

Bill was spot on this was used in Commer trucks.

I hope this answers your questions Bob

Best regards Brian

img132.jpg

Find it !!! I worked with it all my working life and stood beside my father befour that. when it was allowed.
Also a inquireing mind helps.
very glad you find it interesting as well as a bit of fun

Brian.

Thanks Brian. That got me straight. Was it the motive engine for the truck or a stationary engine for drilling or running a pto type set up? Looks like it was fun to work on too. Pretty simple and low parts count should have been tough as nails and hard to tear up. Great drawing too.
Bob

Well Jerry I dont mind the questions it helps keep the gray matter from solidifying.

This engine was developed in the early 1950s i think T S was bought out by the Roots group that also owned Commer trucks so this was the main outlet for this motor but as a option commer also offered the 6 cyl perkins.
If you had the TS3 you had a extra 10 hp over the perkins But the two stroke required to be driven,you could not let the revs drop so you did a lot of gear changing. it was not a motor for the lazy driver so it sold mainly to owner drivers.
It was also marketed as a industrial engine and marine It was a good engine for marine use but you had to get the prop just right.
When it was up on the power curve it was noisiy, it had a very distinctive howl, even when fitted with twin silencers. This did not please the locals at transport depot's or coach stations.

Its mechanical weekneses where, The quill drive to the blower that did not like the sudden changes in RPM that some drivers did.
Also the long chain drive for the blower /fuel pump/ etc. this was at the rear of the motor and you had to take the gearbox the off and the flywheel to to get to it. often to find it was only two small pawls in the chain tensioner that had failed. but you had to change it all and re time the motor

I hope this answers your question
Good ere init. as thay say.
Brian

And here I thought I was not going to learn anything today before bedtime, which had me sad until I read these posts.
Thanks Brian,
Paul :)

Brian,
Your sketch doesn't show the crankshaft does it? You say "large rockers transfer this movement to the crank" but that central pin between the large rockers is only going to oscillate isnt it? Should there be another arm coming off that oscillating pivot that converts to rotating motion? Or am I missing something here?:dunno:

Cheers Phil

Thanks Bill for the link, and I hope that it answers Phil's question.

But the question in the text about the fuel pump still remains unanswerd.

''How can a 2 cycle engine end up having a fuel pump running at 1/2 engine speed''

I will leave this open as I think you will have to dig deep for this one.

Happy Hunting, Brian.

Back