What exactly do i have and how are they used?

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The first pic is the front and back of a some cutters I have that come in both left and right hand versions. The second pic are the specs printed on the cutter. In all I have about 60+ of them. The third pic is the front and back of a different cutter and the last pic is the specs on one of the two I have. Seems obvious (or is it??) that they are both used in gear making???

20181209_202929.jpg

20181209_202851.jpg

20181209_202958.jpg

20181209_203026.jpg

Most of what I see are gear shaper cutters, they are used on a gear shaper, where the cutter reciprocates and rotates in time with the blank to be cut with teeth, this is a generating process where a theoretically correct tooth shape is generated, unlike the "range type" cutters commonly used to cut teeth in gearing that does not need to be so precise. Gear shaper cutters are basically useless unless you have a gear shaper, which few of us have.

The first 2 pics are cutters for a mill, either horizontal or vertical with an arbor.
The one looks like a slitting saw but can't till thickness from the pic.
The one with cutting edges going towards center is for cutting a groove. External keyway on a shaft is an example for that one.

I agree the gear cutter is for a gear shaper machine. Hopefully you have more of the other style in those 60 cutters.

All of the cutters have this same profile but this pic is of the first one with the cutting edges on the face. It is 5/32" thick. I have tons of these, left and right hand. Would like to pass them along to someone if they can use them. I will post them in the for sale section when I can.

15444858793191796927323.jpg

the first one is so it can cut on the side if there is a tiny bit of wobble so less chatter and only on one side with the teeth is for gang milling or that is what i was told from other sources

Back