What flux core wire are you using?

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need to buy another spool of flux core wire for my little HF welder. I use .030 wire. The welder is used mostly on sheet metal on my 1966 MG Midget that I am resurrecting. Would like to know what other people are using in their flux core wire welders.

The flux core welder is what I have and there is no money in the budget for anything else. This is what I was working on today. This is in the driver side fender well. You can only see a little of the rust cancer in this photo. There was more after I got all of the paint removed.

IMG_3759.JPG

I welded in a patch to cover the rusted out area.

IMG_3772.JPG

I still have more grinding to do to smooth everything out. Tomorrow's project is to work on the underside. I will be removing most of the rust cancer and then weld in a patch.

IMG_3761.JPG

This is the worst of the rust cancer that I have to fix. A prior owner instead of fixing the rust covered it with undercoating. I only discovered the rust when I removed the undercoating in prepping for paint. The remaining rust spots are a couple of small holes in the passenger side foot well that I will cover with an epoxy patch. The other welding that I have to do is welding a new tunnel to fit over the transmission.

IMG_3582.JPG

It turns out that I cut out more of the tunnel than I needed to. So I will be welding part of what I cut out back in place and only have to fabricate a small portion of the tunnel.

I don't really consider this to be body work.

Deleted duplicate

We used to use .023 in the shop for sheet metal but that was WITH gas. It allowed the use of lower currents and made for easier welding with sheet metal. I Do understand the need for using what you can afford. I Also keep fluxed wire here in case I have to weld outdoors with the wind as a factor. It is .030 or .035--can't remember as I don't use it much. Have to obviously change tips but if you have to go mobile, it IS nice to not have to drag a tank around. Mike

Been using blue demon .035 at my shop for years (auto repair) I think it works best for rusty metals,tried a bunch like it best.

When I was searching for info on flux core wire I ran across a post somewhere about not needing the nozzle. That poster opined that the nozzle on a flux core welder serves no purpose and you have better visibility without it. I have not done this. Any merit to this?

There is a slender nozzle for fluxcore shaped like a cone. Local welding supply should have it.

Thanks for the info about flux core nozzles. Home Depot has them. I did some welding yesterday without the nozzle and it was much easier to see what I was doing.

Back