what gear is this?

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I bought a set of change gears for my 101.07403 and it came with an extra gear. This doesn't appear to be for my machine. Anyone got any idea what it is for?
gear.jpg

47 teeth could be for approximate metric transposing (47/37)

It isn't a {an Atlas built 6", 9", 10" or 12" or AA 6" lathe} Change gear as it isn't double-keyed. {plus it's too thick, wrong gear teeth, etc.} I can't find a 47 tooth gear on any of the lathe or QCGB parts lists. The closest metric transposition gear set that I find is 52T/44T. So my conclusion is that it doesn't go to your lathe.

Content shown in green was added later to clarify statement.

Last edited:
The gear teeth are smaller than all the rest so it's not a metric to English adapter.
Could it go to a 6" lathe?

It isn't an Atlas or for that matter AA change gear as it only has a single keyway and is in any case too thick. The only other gears in an Atlas built 6" are the back gears, which it isn't, and the carriage traverse gear which is smaller and in any case has a square hole. The gears in an Atlas mill are mostly 6" change gears, plus none have 47 teeth. The two gears in the cross feed are smaller and thinner. 47 teeth is an odd number in both senses of the word. So there is no telling what it might go to.

Last edited:
It isn't a Change gear as it isn't double-keyed. I can't find a 47 tooth gear on any of the lathe or QCGB parts lists. The closest metric transposition gear set that I find is 52T/44T. So my conclusion is that it doesn't go to your lathe.
Many lathes have change gears that are not double keyed, I think that I saw that ratio that I posted in regard to a Logan lathe.

I meant that it was not an Atlas change gear, which was implied in the thread. The lack of a double key way was far from the only reason, but the single key way was simply the most obvious.

The teeth don't match anything on my lathe so I'm not even sure why it was included in the change gear set I bought. I'd like to find out what it goes to so I can sell it to a good home.
Is there a way to search on this site for a 47 tooth gear? It might go to a Chinese lathe (Jet, Enco, et. al.). I have some Jet lathes at work, so I can see if the teeth match. If they don't, any suggestions for what this could fit?

I've looked on Ebay and some 47 tooth gears come up, but not this one. I'll keep looking, though.

All that I can think of would be to open the maintenance manuals on other makes that are in Downloads and see what gears they come with.

Back