What Hand Cleaner?

A friend just put me onto a very good hand cleaner that isn't a hand cleaner at all but works really well! I keep a tube of cheap hand cream in the shop, big squirt, rub in and wipe off dirt and excess hand cream on a paper towel. Look for a hand cream with lanolin. Give it a try, I'll never use hand cleaner again.

rub in hand lotion before getting greesey , hands clean up much easier

Have used many diff ones, still looking on something that will not be as bad, My hands dry, split, crack and bleed, thus need something to take the grime off without being to harsh. So far have not found much, I go through a lot of HF nitirl gloves trying to keep most of the stuff off my hands. My hands are so bad that the Gov cannot even get good finger prints when they try to take them for my work. Real pain.

fast orange with pumice followed by a warm water and lava soap

Regular unscented no-pumice GoJo, with a hand brush, to start.
Wet washrag, with a squirt of liquid soap, to get the GoJo off.

The hand brush and washrag look terrible, but work great.

Rinse and finish up with a hand lotion containing glycerine (so
the hands don't start itching an hour later...).
Better, if I think about it, to just put on some disposable gloves.
I keep a couple of pairs of those, in baggies, in my auto toolkit.

A side benefit of regular GoJo is cleaning dirty test leads and rubber handles. It makes them like new. I used to use it for cleaning battery cables when I was doing Corvette rebuilds.
I must use a lanolin hand cream on my hands, otherwise my hands crack and bleed. A really heavy duty hand cream is Hydrophor Ointment. My local pharmacy carries it and so do Amazon and other online stores. It seems to be like Vaseline but it dries down after rubbing for a while and allows moisture in.

Roy

Half dollar puddle of clean motor oil in your palm. Massage all the grease and dirt follow with a clean shop rag then wash up with regular soap and water. Beats all them fancy cleaners hands down.

Stoko kresto 2000.
IMG_0782.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, lots of choices. Might take a while to go through them all to see which is the best ....... or maybe just try a few. I have used some gel hand cleaner that Canadian Tire sells under their name and really like it but it only comes in small containers that don't last long. The product does a very good job of cleaning grease and grime plus leaves your hands feeling like they got moisturized. Maybe I'll give that a go again or next time I hit home depot I'll get the Cherry Zep.

I think warm water would go along way to helping clean up but it's not available in my shop and it's too far from the house to run a hot water line. Maybe time to install one of those on demand heaters.

I've been using Simple Green. Just spray it on my hands and the grease and grime comes right off. I follow it with regular hand soap.

Back