What Happened to Ingersol Rand

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
IR 10HP, 35CFM, 2 stage, 3 phase air compressor. 120 galloon tank.
OK, now you know the product.
We have run Ingersol Rand for decades. This is the 2545 pump. These are rated for 100% continuous duty.
Purchased new in July of 2018.
This is the first pump from India. All the others ran 10 years or more, made in USA.
They get IR synthetic oil changes. We have alternate starts with it's companion compressor -(older made in USA).
I bought another one against my better judgement.

Ingersol Rand,
We don't mind paying for quality, that's why we buy the IR brand.
Maybe it's time to switch.
When we spend $5,000 for a machine that should last 10 years or more, we have higher expectations.

It sounds like your compressor went toes up - bummer. We like to hope that when something like this happens, it's an uncommon and random failure. But, when we see a once-great company sliding downhill, it's sad and disappointing but is a fact of life. I hope it's not the case with IR, but companies like them have to keep their shareholders happy and profitable. This typically involves outsourcing and other cost-saving strategies that negatively impact a once-great product. As you've experienced, after all the cost savings for the company that benefitted them and their shareholders, you still paid top dollar but for an inferior product.

Well said Mr. Gaffer sir.
I fired off an email to customer service at Grainger. Maybe IR will step up and help out with the expense??

That would speak volumes, and I hope they do! Let us know, please.

The last couple of years I have seen quite a few more complaints about the IR piston compressors durability, and for that matter many of the major brands lower end compressors. There are still a few brands that seem to be a bit more durable and fewer complaints with regard to their pumps, but QC is becoming more of an issue. The industrial line of compressors from Quincy, Champion, Saylor-Beal, Curtis, etc. still seem to be decent, and with a pressure lube should last decades. I have a smaller champion compressor HR5-8, which I am pretty happy with but had a few small issues from a QC point, my prior compressor was a Curtis and it was well built and durable. Curtis Masterline and Quincy QR-25 would be at the top of my list for durability but at a price point.

Many compressor manufacturers have extended warranty depending on the model and if you use their extended care products.
QT extended warranty kit https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200626533_200626533
Quincy QR-25 and Curtis Masterline series is 5 years, Champion industrial line is prorated over 5 years

Many compressor manufacturers have extended warranty depending on the model and if you use their extended care products.
QT extended warranty kit https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200626533_200626533
Quincy QR-25 and Curtis Masterline series is 5 years, Champion industrial line is prorated over 5 years

I like the pressure lubrication!!
I noticed some of those duplex pumps from Curtis are rated at over 50,000 hours. The IR splash units are 15,000.
Boy, an extra grand or two up front sure gets you more machine.
I should have waited.
This problem goes to my replacement. I am on my last year here>>-Giggle-grin!

I have a Gardner Denver 20 CFM 2 stage intercooled, for over 30 years. Still going strong.

Back