What Happened to Ingersol Rand

I had two Curtis 10hp recps. They hung in there well. I had one of them overhauled by the dealer, crappy job. it failed in less than a year. When we needed more air I bought a Curtis 25hp screw direct from the factory. There is nothing good about it. Poorly designed, multiple failures. Oil (synthetic) & filter changes as recommended. OTH Our Quincy 40hp screw vacuum pump @ 22 years is still going strong. It did get a new motor several years ago.

I’ve been really happy dealing with my local compressor service company. They carry Quincy (I don’t own one so it’s not a recommendation) but mostly they service all brands so they are up on who’s building quality.

I know you run the shop at your dealership and with so many mechanics on staff it probably goes against instinct to have someone else do work you can do in-house, but it wouldn’t hurt to talk with your local compressor guys.

John

In my last business, I bought the Sullair Rotory compressor. This was a great compressor, although very expensive. Don't remember but I think it was the 20HP unit and ran us north of $10K. But it ran 18 hours a day, 5 days a week with no issues except for one.
This unit had a radiator in the front to cool the air and remove water before it went through the drying systems. The dust and powder paint that escaped the system would get pulled into the radiator as it pulled the air through the radiator and across the compressor and motor. Over time the heat would cause the powder to cure and with the dust in the fins. A real pain to clean out. Had to remove the radiator twice a year to send it out for dipping.
Not really the compressors fault. More that we could not mount the unit outside and so it was subject to everything floating in the shop.

I have a Gardner Denver 20 CFM 2 stage intercooled, for over 30 years. Still going strong.
I think all the older industrial grade compressors were bullet proof.
We bought a rebuilt IR heavy duty compressor back in 1989. It replaced one that sounded like the African Queen -nock-a-knock-a-knock.
We had that for at least another 15 years.
Oh, and the African Queen, one of the guys that worked here said it was there when he started back in 68.

We're putting out 8.5 million to IR and Atlas-Kopco over the next 2 years . The reason why you can't satisfaction with IR is because we have kept them all busy lately . :big grin:

IR 10HP, 35CFM, 2 stage, 3 phase air compressor. 120 galloon tank.
OK, now you know the product.
We have run Ingersol Rand for decades. This is the 2545 pump. These are rated for 100% continuous duty.
Purchased new in July of 2018.
This is the first pump from India. All the others ran 10 years or more, made in USA.
They get IR synthetic oil changes. We have alternate starts with it's companion compressor -(older made in USA).
I bought another one against my better judgement.

Ingersol Rand,
We don't mind paying for quality, that's why we buy the IR brand.
Maybe it's time to switch.
When we spend $5,000 for a machine that should last 10 years or more, we have higher expectations.

A 100% duty cycle would give me pause. Most industrial motors, pumps, compressors and refrigeration systems are rated for a 115% to 120% duty cycle. Even then when run at 80% to 90% with regular maintenance they fail or need major overhauls in 10 years or less. In this case the compressor life is stated to be 50,000 hours. That calculates out to 5.7 years. Not much for a $4,500.00 machine.

I know my compressor is running on borrowed time. It's a 1965 Kellogg 311. The nice thing about it is almost all rebuild parts are still available. I purchased a head and valve overhaul kit nearly 4 years ago thinking it was getting close to time for a refurbish. Everything is still in the box and the compressor keeps pumping away. I thought I had a leak in the tank, but it turned out to be a bad regulator on a cheap HF water separator.

A 100% duty cycle would give me pause. Most industrial motors, pumps, compressors and refrigeration systems are rated for a 115% to 120% duty cycle. Even then when run at 80% to 90% with regular maintenance they fail or need major overhauls in 10 years or less. In this case the compressor life is stated to be 50,000 hours. That calculates out to 5.7 years. Not much for a $4,500.00 machine.

I know my compressor is running on borrowed time. It's a 1965 Kellogg 311. The nice thing about it is almost all rebuild parts are still available. I purchased a head and valve overhaul kit nearly 4 years ago thinking it was getting close to time for a refurbish. Everything is still in the box and the compressor keeps pumping away. I thought I had a leak in the tank, but it turned out to be a bad regulator on a cheap HF water separator.
I originally looked at it like you. You must consider these pumps only cycle/run a few times per hour. My understanding of duty cycle is running 100% of the time= never shutting down.
I think we all know, there is no way these pumps can run non-stop.
The oil pump version vs. splash lubrication is huge.

We're running 26 IRs and Atlas Copcos in here at the plant . Most are 200HP compressors and all are aged ( other than the ones we just had rebuilt) . The cap ex is in the budget for the next 2 years to replace them all . Ours never shut down , run 24/7 365 days a year and all are past the 50,000 hour mark . We run them on a cam system so they kick on and off as air requirements demand more or less . Most of the time they are all running . 25 % of them are for HP plant air while 75 % are low pressure 40psi for our furnaces and extruder lines feeding the dies . Not a night goes by without some kind of issues with them . :rolleyes:

Back