What Happened to Ingersol Rand

We're running 26 IRs and Atlas Copcos in here at the plant . Most are 200HP compressors and all are aged ( other than the ones we just had rebuilt) . The cap ex is in the budget for the next 2 years to replace them all . Ours never shut down , run 24/7 365 days a year and all are past the 50,000 hour mark . We run them on a cam system so they kick on and off as air requirements demand more or less . Most of the time they are all running . 25 % of them are for HP plant air while 75 % are low pressure 40psi for our furnaces and extruder lines feeding the dies . Not a night goes by without some kind of issues with them . :rolleyes:
200hp!!
What kind of amp load does that power demand?
That is industrial might my friend.
Holy pressure cooker Bat Man.

Man, this just isn't meant to be.
We finally got the unit delivered, I had the electrician come out to install it. He says, they put the wrong starter on it.
??. It has a 460 starter.
I checked the compressor order, it's clearly 220 input voltage.
We just swapped it off the defective unit.
Hopefully this one will last longer than 2 1/2 years.

Do you guys in the rest of the country need a permit to operate a pressure vessel?
The first thing we do is notify Cal-OSHA that we need a new permit.
It's new for crying out loud.

Attachments

• ir 1.jpg
    ir 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 25
  • ir 2.jpg
    ir 2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 23
Man, this just isn't meant to be.
We finally got the unit delivered, I had the electrician come out to install it. He says, they put the wrong starter on it.
??. It has a 460 starter.
I checked the compressor order, it's clearly 220 input voltage.
We just swapped it off the defective unit.
Hopefully this one will last longer than 2 1/2 years.

Do you guys in the rest of the country need a permit to operate a pressure vessel?
The first thing we do is notify Cal-OSHA that we need a new permit.
It's new for crying out loud.
No permits required here. We are left unprotected! You lucky guys living in California are protected from all sorts of things that I didn't even know I needed to be protected from.

No permits required here. We are left unprotected! You lucky guys living in California are protected from all sorts of things that I didn't even know I needed to be protected from.
Oh boy, we have stickers on posters reminding us of all the ways we can die in this state.
It is rather silly.

@Janderso I hope they will be sending you the right motor starter. You paid for a new air compressor, not a short block that you need to take parts off of your old unit to make work.

The degree of incompetence today is overwhelming. They charge you for Platinum service and give you wood shed performance.

I saw a drop of oil yesterday coming from under my truck. Crawled under to see what is going on and the entire bottom of my truck is covered. Looks like the shop I had do the oil change on my diesel didn't do something, Grrrr! I have had to take my truck back a couple of times to have the shop fix the work they did. This is over a couple of different shops.

Last edited:
QUESTION??

The new compressor is side by side the old one. These are identical.
The new one takes 1:45 to come up to pressure. The older one takes 1:20.

The new one runs much warmer. I would say the old one is warm bath water. I can easily hold my hand on the head. The new one-no. Don't get me wrong, it's not real hot just much warmer than the other unit.
Is there a break in period where it will get more efficient? Or did we get another lemon?
These are 36CFM at 175PSI. Two 120 gallon tanks and probably 1,000 feet of pipe. They alternate starts.
What say you?

The additional heat may be a product of the tighter new unit and may become more like the older unit as it breaks in. So too with the time it takes to come up to pressure. Maybe the piston rings need to seat in to the liners and may speed up.

Of course it could be that they are not the identical unit or that all units are not equal. Let's hope it is a matter of break in.

Call the vendor and ask them to come out and verify everything, they can do that when they install the correct starter.

It should be warranty time so easy money for them no charge to you.

Insist on it as you need to document it just in case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Call the vendor and ask them to come out and verify everything, they can do that when they install the correct starter.

It should be warranty time so easy money for them no charge to you.

Insist on it as you need to document it just in case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
A funny thing,
I bought these through Grainger. I've been a loyal customer for quite some time.
I discovered McMaster Carr a couple years ago and have been sending more business to McMaster.
I contacted Grainger about the pump that was just out of warranty. They were kind enough to give me the customer service email for Ingersol Rand. Gee, I hope I didn't put them out.

I immediately contacted IR. I haven't even had a follow up email from them. You know, thanks for reaching out, we'll get to you soon!!
NOTHING.

Charlie, I hope you're right.

Back