What have you done in your shop lately?

Just seen this...

I repaired my servo shift last year. Got several manuals if you need them.

First did the electrical like you did. Mostly cleaned contacts and removed swarf and debris. Found a couple bad wire connections. then changed oil and replaced filter. Removed sludge and chips from bottom of gear box. Still sluggish shifting at best. Put a pressure gauge on pump line and found it way below 300 psi. The relief is just a hole in a fitting. got new fitting and put in a smaller hole to bump up pressure.

Now she runs and shifts like a brand new lathe.

BTW, I disagree with the fella about avoiding servo shifts. I trained in vo-teck in 1980 on this lathe and LOVED it. Went looking specifically for this lathe for a year and found one last summer. This is a seriously well made accurate rigid lathe made to run for decades.

Sent a couple of motors to the motor shop, so no machining for now.

Well, I'm nuts about bolts & picked this down time to start organizing them. 1st pic is old bolts that I'm cleaning & getting ready to organize into Durham Boxes. 1/4 pan is soaking in Evaporust. 2nd pic is 4 Durham boxes organized & sorted for no6 - 1/4. 4 more Durham boxes are on order to house 5/16 - 1/2. Then the pans in the 1st pic will only have to hold the longest bolts.

20190512 145318535.jpg

20190512 145303067.jpg

Yeah, I outgrew my intended plastic box for 6 - 10. Put all them in their own Durham boxes & my 12 size is in the plastic box. 1/4 is the open box in the foreground.

I know, I know: This is a rebolting subject to be screwing around with............................

Sent a couple of motors to the motor shop, so no machining for now.

Well, I'm nuts about bolts & picked this down time to start organizing them. 1st pic is old bolts that I'm cleaning & getting ready to organize into Durham Boxes. 1/4 pan is soaking in Evaporust. 2nd pic is 4 Durham boxes organized & sorted for no6 - 1/4. 4 more Durham boxes are on order to house 5/16 - 1/2. Then the pans in the 1st pic will only have to hold the longest bolts.

View attachment 294515

View attachment 294516

Yeah, I outgrew my intended plastic box for 6 - 10. Put all them in their own Durham boxes & my 12 size is in the plastic box. 1/4 is the open box in the foreground.

I know, I know: This is a rebolting subject to be screwing around with............................
lots of work, but do it once and it's done and you will save time finding what you need when you need it!

Just seen this...

I repaired my servo shift last year. Got several manuals if you need them.

First did the electrical like you did. Mostly cleaned contacts and removed swarf and debris. Found a couple bad wire connections. then changed oil and replaced filter. Removed sludge and chips from bottom of gear box. Still sluggish shifting at best. Put a pressure gauge on pump line and found it way below 300 psi. The relief is just a hole in a fitting. got new fitting and put in a smaller hole to bump up pressure.

Now she runs and shifts like a brand new lathe.

BTW, I disagree with the fella about avoiding servo shifts. I trained in vo-teck in 1980 on this lathe and LOVED it. Went looking specifically for this lathe for a year and found one last summer. This is a seriously well made accurate rigid lathe made to run for decades.
This is great. Can you please send me the manuals or share download links?

Two hours cleaning and organizing for one hour work; about average --- I have spent about two weeks C&O for a one day event of out local Hobby machinist group meeting next weekend, not done yet!
I wish I followed this rule a long time ago. The last several days are all out cleaning and sorting, organizing. Very tiring, but very rewarding. I still have a large miscellaneois box to sort outs, large box of screws, bolts and nuts to sort out also. Currently, I focus on big items. Once things are better, I get to smaller items which will take alot of time.

It also turns out as I clean up the shop, I clean up basement, shed, etc. They need room to store things. It feel good to remove, sell, give away things I don't need anymore, and find things I needed before, but didn't know where or even forgot I have them.

Last edited:
No-one should have to love that wall paper. It reminds me of the pastel pinks & greens that people would paint their bathrooms in the 30s & 40s. Yes, this wallpaper was an improvement & probably helped a lot of kids decide to say NO to drugs in the 60s as they hugged the toilet. But it really does belong in the past. Now, there are good parts of any past too. The subject does have that clean out, organize feeling at the moment, so I'll combine the 2 on my 1/4 - 20 bolt cleaning by saying: Valve cover bolts. A sampling of what I cleaned up today:

IMG_20190512_224948356.jpg

I'm like a kid that disappears all day because Mom made him go & clean out his closet. (Yes, yes, it did work on me every time). LOL I see Ford Y Block (312 Interceptor), Chrysler 318 (Poly). Chrysler LA (old & new) & Chrysler RB. Not sure of the last one though. I like period correct on some things, so this is fun. Anyone else?

The wall paper may not be fashionable now, but it brings back memories of my grand mothers house, and those were good memories. :encourage:

Back