What have you made out of polycarbonate?

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just came into 24 sheets of 3/8” 4’x7’. What have you made out of polycarbonate? Any tips on machining it?

Nice find. !

Mostly I have made machine guards out of it. The pieces that you have would make great bulletproof window glazing if you have a need for that. :) Think that 3/8 will stop a .45 ACP round point blank.

Normal woodworking tools work well for sawing. Machines nicely with aluminum or wood working cutters. Works a lot like aluminum. Surface speeds should be a lot slower than you think to keep from melting, you can push the feed rates up. I normally cut dry, but have used dish soap and water successfully, stay away from petroleum based coolants, especially for tapping. Petroleum based fluids can cause crazing, especially when tapping. I have used a synthetic water based coolant successfully. Google plastic or brass drills for a proper grind for drilling.

I use it for chip deflectors as well as face shields, but in much thinner sizes. It cold forms very nicely on a sheet metal brake although in 3/8” thickness I doubt that would work so well ;)

-frank

Last edited:
So if you wanted to laminate the windows of your Corvette with a bulletproof ply or two of polycarbonate, I'd look into the optically clear UV-curing gel adhesives. I think you should do it.

The guy I got them from had previously sold some to a bank just for making bullet proof glass in front of tellers.

i have made many replacement see thru doors for meat processing equipment.
i have made VFD enclosures from poly carb,
templates for drilling holes repeatedly,
triangle layout tooling -equilateral(45°-45°-90°) & right(30°-60°-90°),
machine guards

On an engine swap, we used polycarbonate and fiberglass to build a custom cold air intake air horn. We also used sheet polycarbonate as the dam in the intake steel frame.

Steve Photo 2 (304).JPG

Steve Photo 2 (307).JPG

Steve Photo 2 (312).JPG

Last edited:
Back