What indicators are needed for scraping?

expressline99

Registered
Registered
OK guys what types of dial indicators and or gauges will be absolutely needed to measure for my lathe scraping surfaces. The ways and dovetails etc. I've got a flexible dial indicator stand on the way. It's not a NOGA...I didn't get on that train yet.

Paul

Have you picked up a copy of Connelys scraping book, and Schlesinger or Burley?
Machine tool geometry is a puzzle. And great fun. (on edit: huge heaps of great fun...)
Albeit lots of work both mentally and physically.
I believe you will find free digital copies of the above texts here at HM. Although my preference is hard copy.
Worth reading before you start spending cash.
Investment in quantitative assessment tools is endless, and expensive.
However, qualitative assessments might very likely be enough to meet the tolerance that most of us need.
Please note that I have a history of driving myself nuts trying to make a clapped out mill into a jig bore.

Daryl
MN

A depth mic is good for checking for amount of wear from a reference surface. As for dial indicators, they are not much use for use during scraping and fitting process. All the indicator is going to tell you is if you have any wear in the slides before you tear down your lathe for example. If this is what you are after, get one that reads in .0005" increments. an indicator that reads any finer than this will drive you nuts trying to get accurate readings out of it. In fact, until recently, I've always used .001" reading indicator!

You already bought a surface plate. Have you bought a scraped straight edge like a camel back type? You going to need this along with all of the other tools needed to scrape with.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, these will all help!

A set of parallels (to indicate from)
Gauge blocks (to indicate from)
Feeler gauges from.001" to .030" (measures clearances)
Flashlight (determines general flatness of stuff against a surface plate)
PPI gauge (1x1 hollow square)(has radius gauge integral to the construction)
Dial indicator or test indicator (to determine wear and inspect finished work)
There maybe more , but that's what I got for now!!!:)

Have you picked up a copy of Connelys scraping book, and Schlesinger or Burley?
Machine tool geometry is a puzzle. And great fun. (on edit: huge heaps of great fun...)
Albeit lots of work both mentally and physically.
I believe you will find free digital copies of the above texts here at HM. Although my preference is hard copy.
Worth reading before you start spending cash.
Investment in quantitative assessment tools is endless, and expensive.
However, qualitative assessments might very likely be enough to meet the tolerance that most of us need.
Please note that I have a history of driving myself nuts trying to make a clapped out mill into a jig bore.

Daryl
MN

Oh yes I'm halfway through Connelys book. Haven't seen Schlesinger or Burley yet! Will have to check into it.
The Assessment tools are what I'm after! :)

Thanks, Paul

Scraping is not done with an indicator.
It is done with a reference surface and a indicator applied to the surface.

Scraping technique is not in question here. I'm asking about equipment that people find useful doing this.
I'm threshing ideas as I move along ahead of time.

A depth mic is good for checking for amount of wear from a reference surface. As for dial indicators, they are not much use for use during scraping and fitting process. All the indicator is going to tell you is if you have any wear in the slides before you tear down your lathe for example. If this is what you are after, get one that reads in .0005" increments. an indicator that reads any finer than this will drive you nuts trying to get accurate readings out of it. In fact, until recently, I've always used .001" reading indicator!

You already bought a surface plate. Have you bought a scraped straight edge like a camel back type? You going to need this along with all of the other tools needed to scrape with.

Great that was what I was after. I was wondering if a half a tenth is what I needed. But the style is also something I was wondering. Since there are dials with pivoting heads etc.

The straight edges I am going to make as the first few projects before getting to the machines. I have all the cast iron needed to make these. So that's the plan.
My level showed up today in multiple parts so that's a little bit of a let down. But the stand isn't welded up yet so I've got some time.
Not to worry I'm following everyone's advice Nothing will be taken apart until I've had some practice and made the straight edges.

IMO, these will all help!

A set of parallels (to indicate from)
Gauge blocks (to indicate from)
Feeler gauges from.001" to .030" (measures clearances)
Flashlight (determines general flatness of stuff against a surface plate)
PPI gauge (1x1 hollow square)(has radius gauge integral to the construction)
Dial indicator or test indicator (to determine wear and inspect finished work)
There maybe more , but that's what I got for now!!!:)

Thanks Mike! I see a couple of things to add to the list. I was planning to get a PPI gauge. Just haven't searched for one yet.
At least those are simple. If they can mess that up I'd be surprised!

You can easily make the ppi gauge
Dapra sells them
I can scan mine and you can copy it if you were so inclined :)

Back