What is a DC Treadmill Motor?

That’s what I used. 3 hp. Works great, I can spin it over 7 k sfpm

Thinking about using a treadmill motor & controller on my 2X72 belt grinder

Thoughts / Suggestions?

If I hadn't lucked into a great deal on the ideal motor, I would have used a treadmill motor.

3 phase, sealed, 2hp marathon motor in my case. Even had the common size shaft and key to fit the wheel sets sold by the knife makers. Add a VFD and off you go. I even have a treadmill in the garage half disassembled, but I couldn't pass it up. I'll use the treadmill motor for something else.

@oskar,

Check your local for sale site, craigslist, kijij, or equivalent.
I have picked up two treadmills for no cost........the owner just wanted to get rid of them.
One was working perfectly, the other had a bearing gone in one belt axle (the motor and controller worked fine).
Of course they are always in the basement.......take some tools, dis-assemble and make many trips.
(I forgot allen wrenches for one and had to use vise-grips on the heads)

So these motors can be free, for the effort of hauling the treadmill machine away!

-brino

@oskar,

Check your local for sale site, craigslist, kijij, or equivalent.
I have picked up two treadmills for no cost........the owner just wanted to get rid of them.
One was working perfectly, the other had a bearing gone in one belt axle (the motor and controller worked fine).
Of course they are always in the basement.......take some tools, dis-assemble and make many trips.
(I forgot allen wrenches for one and had to use vise-grips on the heads)

So these motors can be free, for the effort of hauling the treadmill machine away!

-brino
That's how I scored my two. Now just need to find the time to put them to use...

Anyone know the fix to not have to reset the speed controller pot every time the the motor is started?

I am pretty sure if you put a switch between the speed controller and the motor you won't have to reset the pot after you turn it off. Switch needs to be a 20 amp rating. It should be a dc switch, but I have gotten by with an ac switch.

Another thought. If you put a toggle switch to break the connection on the "wiper" wire you can use it for your on/off and rpm setting should stay.

Actually it's risky to break the connection between the controller and the motor with power applied. It can damage things. Better to switch the pot wiper as mentioned above
Mark

Curious. Has anyone actually measured the torque on a treadmill motor? Do they actually produce the advertised HP or are they akin to compressor motor or vacuum motor ratings.

Greg

Back