What is a DC Treadmill Motor?

Curious. Has anyone actually measured the torque on a treadmill motor? Do they actually produce the advertised HP or are they akin to compressor motor or vacuum motor ratings.

Greg
That is the $64,000 question Greg. Main problem with the ones I've run into is there is a vast difference in them. The cheap home units have way different motors and components than the gym grade ones. I paid $50 for a industrial treadmill and the motor had just been replaced. It's way heavier duty then the freebie I got. I got a controller of eBay that's perfect for these kinds of machine setups as it has a speed knob, jog, and reverse. Way easier for me than trying to rig the controls from the old treadmill.

If you are using a treadmill motor in a shop environment? The treadmill motors that I have seen are not sealed. So how are you keeping the crap away from the permanent magnets within the motor?...Dave

If you are using a treadmill motor in a shop environment? The treadmill motors that I have seen are not sealed. So how are you keeping the crap away from the permanent magnets within the motor?...Dave

This is a valid point for certain applications in my mind. I've not gotten around to mounting it on my lathe yet. But I feel where the motor is under and behind a splash guard would make it so I was more worried about cooling than dust. I'm also very concerned about metal dust and keep the lathe covered when not in use. But when I think about it many open frame motors on hand grinders, die grinder etc which are right in the thick of it so to speak, last for decades in my shop anyway. But that same concern kept me from using my mill motor for like a band saw or belt grinder. These kinds of info about actual HP and longevity never seem to come up.

If you get it cheap or free, use it. It might not last as long as a sealed motor, but I'll bet it will work a good while. That was my plan until I lucked into a deal on a nice sealed motor. I still have the treadmill motor set aside for a future project. Never know when I might want a spinny thing. :)

This is a valid point for certain applications in my mind. I've not gotten around to mounting it on my lathe yet. But I feel where the motor is under and behind a splash guard would make it so I was more worried about cooling than dust. I'm also very concerned about metal dust and keep the lathe covered when not in use. But when I think about it many open frame motors on hand grinders, die grinder etc which are right in the thick of it so to speak, last for decades in my shop anyway. But that same concern kept me from using my mill motor for like a band saw or belt grinder. These kinds of info about actual HP and longevity never seem to come up.
Sorry but IMHO you are not comparing like for like. The open frame motors, hand grinders and such do not have the same motor guts. A treadmill motor has permanent magnets in it. It has a magnetic field even when turned off. Anything that can stick to it will, if it gets close enough and at any time, The other mentioned motors, not so…Dave

@oskar,

Check your local for sale site, craigslist, kijij, or equivalent.
I have picked up two treadmills for no cost........the owner just wanted to get rid of them.
One was working perfectly, the other had a bearing gone in one belt axle (the motor and controller worked fine).
Of course they are always in the basement.......take some tools, dis-assemble and make many trips.
(I forgot allen wrenches for one and had to use vise-grips on the heads)

So these motors can be free, for the effort of hauling the treadmill machine away!

-brino

The first treadmill I picked up off CL was in the upstairs bedroom. It was too wide to go thru door let alone down the stairs. It was obviously assembled in the room. The house was being gutted for remodel and had a dumpster in driveway. I put the whole treadmill in the dumpster short of the motor and control board. The home owner was kinda ****** that I only took the motor and left the rest but he got over it I hope.
I use this motor and control board on my belt grinder and have no problem with having to set the speed every time I turn it on. I might spin it 3-4 k fpm to grind a tool bit but only 2k to clean up the end of a bolt I just cut off. I always turn the speed to zero before I turn it off. It will spin to 7 k fpm, that’s scary fast for me, I seldom go past 5k.
Just my 2 cents

Just deconstructed another treadmill a couple of days ago, commercial unit from a friends Dojo, of the 4 I've pulled apart 2 had brushed motors and 2 were brushless. 1 1 HP, 2 1.5 HP and 1 1.75 Hp Using with original circuit board with added wiper pot. All were sealed motors. I take any tread mill people want to dump and old gym equipment. All good sources of materials.

A cheap controller for a DC motor can be made with only a bridge rectifier and a variac transformer.

Thinking about using a treadmill motor & controller on my 2X72 belt grinder

Thoughts / Suggestions?
I would say yes. Several years ago I motorized my honey extractor with a motor and control from a treadmill. I built a box to house the transformer and circuit board, then made a wiring harness so the motor could be easily unplugged from the controls, and also so I could set the control on the kitchen table and run the extractor while I was uncapping the next set of frames.

The other great thing about the free treadmills is that you also get square metal tubing rollers, solid shaft material and metal brackets that come in handy for other projects

Back