• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

What is a good source for a 72” X 2” home made sander motor?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
If I took the motor off my wife’s tread mill I would be in Dutch.
I can make the frame ok but to source the centering wheels, pulleys and drive motor is my quest.
A little help please.
Thank you,
Jeff

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Oregon blade makers for the wheels, unless you want to turn some on your lathe.

Local classifieds often have treadmills free or cheap. 3 phase motors are not uncommon either. A nice 3 phase with VFD is how I did it, and it works great. Automation direct has some reasonably priced motors and VFDs if you are looking for new.

Source the motor before you order wheels as there are a few shaft sizes. For treadmill motors you have to come up with something yourself for the drive wheel.

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Jeff
Watch Craigslist for free treadmills, put a search in and get notified when one is posted. As for the wheels they can be sourced from origineblademaker.com, knifegrinderparts.com, Amazon, etch, or make your own.
If you make them yourself make the drive wheel to 12" circumference then if you put a cheap tachometer on it the reading will be in feet per minute.

Janderso

Wow, it looks like treadmill motors are the way to go.
Ok, I’ll check out CL

ttabbal

I was planning on treadmill, but got a great deal on a new 2HP 3PH that I couldn't pass up. It's a crazy useful tool to have in the shop. You won't regret building one.

The new industrial sewing machine motors are variable speed reverse and forward and speeds up to 5k if my memory serves. And there not real pricy if you want new. I'd get one for my lathe if I needed one.

Janderso

The new industrial sewing machine motors are variable speed reverse and forward and speeds up to 5k if my memory serves. And there not real pricy if you want new. I'd get one for my lathe if I needed one.
Wow, sewing machine motor—9 amps, 7,000 rpm, variable speed, reversible with pedal control, $39.95.
Anyone else use a sewing machine motor?

Janderso

Oh, ok. That motor would be great! Variable speed too.
Thanks.

markba633csi

The motor pictured is a dc motor with brushes. There's also a brushless type available "Nitron" for about the same price

Janderso

Ok, how the heck do I make a dc motor work?
I would have to have a converter/inverter of some sort. Please advise.
I like the idea of simple.
Thanks

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
The motors in the link have the controller built in. You just plug them into an outlet. Some are 110 and some 220.

Janderso

That is a clean option for my quest.
For a more knowledgeable guy, the Craigslist option with the unknown condition of a treadmill motor is sounding less attractive the more I think about it.
I like the idea of plug and play.

Janderso

I just bought it!
Couldn’t pass it up.
I am going to have a ball making my own custom sander/grinder.
Thank you guys!

ttabbal

I really enjoyed building mine. Have fun and make sure you post some pics. :)

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Interested to see how that motor handles a 72” belt, keep us posted

[6]
[5] [7]