What is a good source for a 72” X 2” home made sander motor?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
If I took the motor off my wife’s tread mill I would be in Dutch.
I can make the frame ok but to source the centering wheels, pulleys and drive motor is my quest.
A little help please.
Thank you,
Jeff

Oregon blade makers for the wheels, unless you want to turn some on your lathe.

Local classifieds often have treadmills free or cheap. 3 phase motors are not uncommon either. A nice 3 phase with VFD is how I did it, and it works great. Automation direct has some reasonably priced motors and VFDs if you are looking for new.

Source the motor before you order wheels as there are a few shaft sizes. For treadmill motors you have to come up with something yourself for the drive wheel.

Jeff
Watch Craigslist for free treadmills, put a search in and get notified when one is posted. As for the wheels they can be sourced from origineblademaker.com, knifegrinderparts.com, Amazon, etch, or make your own.
If you make them yourself make the drive wheel to 12" circumference then if you put a cheap tachometer on it the reading will be in feet per minute.

Wow, it looks like treadmill motors are the way to go.
Ok, I’ll check out CL

I was planning on treadmill, but got a great deal on a new 2HP 3PH that I couldn't pass up. It's a crazy useful tool to have in the shop. You won't regret building one.

The new industrial sewing machine motors are variable speed reverse and forward and speeds up to 5k if my memory serves. And there not real pricy if you want new. I'd get one for my lathe if I needed one.

The new industrial sewing machine motors are variable speed reverse and forward and speeds up to 5k if my memory serves. And there not real pricy if you want new. I'd get one for my lathe if I needed one.
Wow, sewing machine motor—9 amps, 7,000 rpm, variable speed, reversible with pedal control, $39.95.
Anyone else use a sewing machine motor?

Oh, ok. That motor would be great! Variable speed too.
Thanks.

The motor pictured is a dc motor with brushes. There's also a brushless type available "Nitron" for about the same price

Back