What Is A ==========

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
Now that I have you undivided attention, here is the whole question.

What is a Seat Of The Pants Machinist and why is it important to have at least one at hand??? No Machinist starts his career as one but many end up with this title.. Then there are many that never will get to this point.There are many on this Forum.

Go for it boys and girls. This should be fun as there is almost no wrong answer for this question. Keep ic clean please.

"Billy G" Seat of the Pants Machinist.

No plan, no dimensions, not even so much as a scribble. The whole project in my head, dimensions come according to the stock I find in the scrap bin. There is no less care or precision than as with any project from drawn plans. But when finished, it's as useful and well made as a planned project.

Boss...."This is what we want (read impossibl), this is what we have to make it (read nothing), this is when we need it (read yesterday)."
S.O.T.P.M...."It will be ready after lunch."

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

All great answers so far. Newbies are allowed in here also. Actually this question was directed toward the New People.

I feel that a single word has not been said yet. Once someone comes up with it all will fall into place here.

All Machinists start out with the written words of the trade, then a few find another road to solutions of problems. This is where I have to stop, if I say more it will become obvious what I seek.

"Billy G"

I recall reading this somewhere (and I paraphrase), "A real Machinist doesn't need tolerances, he makes things just right."

A SOTP machinist or tradesman has been around the block and knows all the tricks, rendering him a very efficient and skillful worker. Not everybody can become one because it requires a certain method of thinking not all posses. Fast thinking and alertness help as well.

All good traits Andre, add patience and perseverance to the list also. Still one eight letter work missing. Kudos to all that have answered so far.

"Billy G"

Back