What Is It Missing Here?

Nothing is missing, that is an indicator for some special application, you could get a "lug back" to use it for most other purposes.
that's what i wanted to know.. thanks.. i couldn't find one that looked like it would fit..

I've got no idea what you're "supposed" to do with that, but they are out there in several brands. Here's one....

Short of a "proper" application for it, It looks to me like it would simiplify the process of making your own specialty mount, on lathe ways for the carriage or cross slide, mill tables, or whatever else. .

I've got no idea what you're "supposed" to do with that, but they are out there in several brands. Here's one....

Short of a "proper" application for it, It looks to me like it would simiplify the process of making your own specialty mount, on lathe ways for the carriage or cross slide, mill tables, or whatever else. .
yeah.. i am more curious about how it is supposed to be mounted with that kind of back more than anything now.

What purpose do you intend to use it for? That will narrow mounting choices.

Can you buy the back cover with the more common mount?

Mitutoyo 2358-50.jpeg

Or, as mentioned, make a mount that will fit in there...

And you are correct... I was searching, could not find that back plate you have in yours...

Back