What is it

Flyrod

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys

the first set of photos is what looks like a punch of some sort (the black one), but the 4 sides also look like they are sharp and can ream something - is anyone familiar with what this is?

the other set is round stock, marked 1/4, with a centering type end on one end and indents that look to be held on the other end...any ideas on this one?

thanks

https://goo.gl/photos/MeXf5wJ4ensNLuY6A

Hi @Flyrod,

The black tapered square "bit" is a broken bolt remover from Vermont American (you can see the stylized "VA" on it. They are meant to be lightly hammered into a hole drilled into the end of a broken bolt and then turned counter-clockwise for removal. The sharp corner should bite in.

I do not recognize the other part.....perhaps a flaring die meant to strengthen around the holes in sheet metal.

-brino

EDIT: the tool name I was looking for is "dimple die", however, looking at yours again I don't believe that it is one......because the curved portion looks rough and unfinished.

Last edited:
Hi Guys

the first set of photos is what looks like a punch of some sort (the black one), but the 4 sides also look like they are sharp and can ream something - is anyone familiar with what this is?

the other set is round stock, marked 1/4, with a centering type end on one end and indents that look to be held on the other end...any ideas on this one?

thanks

https://goo.gl/photos/MeXf5wJ4ensNLuY6A
As Brino says, one item is a bolt/screw extractor, that is if you get lucky. The item on the left is a punch the slots on the end are there to assist in pulling the punch up, or back through the item that has been punched. It's a common design for a manually operated punch. The die would be fixed in the bottom anvil of the punch.

The square ease outs work much better than the spiral ones as they don't tend to expand the bolt as you turn it.

thx - the idea is you a drill a hole the size of the ez-out, tap it in and turn it with a wrench?

Back