What is it????

A

abunai

Forum Guest
Register Today
I think it's a dimpling tool.
No marking on it.
I'm thinking it maybe missing some parts.
I'd like to know how it's used. Instructions???
tool001.JPG
The hammer has mounts above the removable round balls.
The sliding plate is next to a metal rod that sticks out at an angle
Base is aluminum. Balls are iron. Hammer has a removable round brass side and flat opposite side.

That's what it looks like to me also.

"Billy G"

Those are for brain surgery, you pick the appropriate size ball and pop it into the hole you made in someone's head - tap into place and done.

"Dimpling" is usually done with a dapping block which is much like a swage block in that is has the negative impressions, not the positive. Used with a dapping punch which is rounded on the ends to match the block impressions.

There is a technique in instrument repair however that uses a series of steel balls to remove dents from the tubes of wind instruments. Run the balls down the tubes to bring the dents out from the inside (greatly simplified explanation). Would make sense along with the soft-faced hammer. Stand maybe plays a role in supporting the instrument?

Capture dent ball set.JPG

-frank

It must have something to do with hammering.
I'm guessing hammering thin metal. Hammer is light.
The different size balls look like they can be attached to the hammer. The half round unscrews.
I've seen dimpling tools. They have a male and female side. Male is the one that is hammered.
Still no idea what it's for.

I would say the trumpet/trombone, etc repair is most likely answer, looks like the base unit has a built in clamp?

I was wrong, the hammer is one piece. The balls screw into the adjustable plate.
I took more pictures.dimpletool002.JPGdimpletool003.JPGdimpletool004.JPGdimpletool005.JPGdimpletool006.JPGdimpletool007.JPG

I would say it is for decorative art peening for thin brass and copper.

I've done some searching on google. Mostly looking at pictures.
Nothing even close.
Metal working hand tools, metal forming hand tools, metal forming tools, Jewelry forming tools, jewelry ring sizing tools.
Any other suggestions????

I believe it is tooling for adjusting the amount of cup on RC boat propellors, what diameter is the mandrel on the left, RC boat props are generally 3/16" or 1/4" propshaft diameters. The guys that are serious about racing are always looking for these.Prop Cupping 006.jpg

Back