What is it?

convenienty is not worth a grand!
Using all tooling in collets works well, especially if you try to use only a couple diameters of shanks (like 3/8 and 5/8") for the bulk of the tooling. You will save time by not having to change collets. The shanks can also be short, only about an inch to inch and a quarter long, and that also helps to gets tooling in and out of setups without constantly moving the table or quill up and down. It is great for drill chucks, boring heads, and similar tooling, and it also saves you from buying difficult to find and relatively expensive B&S #9 shanks for all your tooling, which then become dedicated to use in the mill only. Short, straight shanks are the way to go for an inexpensive, versatile, and highly useful tooling system. The final advantage is that the straight shank tooling will also fit your next mill just as they are.

With a Name like Boneyard I should have known you are well versed in the laws of separation!

It helps to keep the B&S collets lightly oiled. They will still grip in the spindle taper. Don't tighten them more than necessary. If you do get one stuck, support the spindle nose against the table before beating on the end of the draw bar, or you can damage the spindle bearings. A piece of tubing against the spindle and a piece of hardwood on the table works well. I am glad my Millrite has R8 instead of B&S#9, they were both options, along with several others...

With a Name like Boneyard I should have known you are well versed in the laws of separation!
I got that name in high school, because I was skinny and hung out at all the boneyards/salvage yards around the country side. I beat one of those afflictions .....at 240 lbs....... lol

Bones

Back