What Is Original Colour For A Colchester Dominion?

Superb restoration, looks better than new!, I do hope he makes swarf with it! Thanks for posting it up. I am trying to post pics of mine up, I will do it eventually!
Phil

Incidentally guys, I found a pic of my Student with the end cover off, it is the light green under there!

Gilles was the guy that repair my tumbler arm which I posted Youtube of the repairs in my restoration project.I was told that is the original colour but an industrial grade.Just wanted to give 1961 some inspiration

Seams they came in a variety of colours. My Student was more of a blue green.
IMGP1402.jpg

From what I gathered the Dominion designation was for units destined for Canada and maybe the US. All the fasteners were UNF or UNC rather than Whitworth.

Greg

IMGP1402.jpg

IMGP1402.jpg

IMGP1402.jpg

IMGP1402.jpg

IMGP1402.jpg

Thanks for all of the great information guys. Phil, my lathe has a badge on it that says "Dominion" and 13x36 and I believe it's original. I am going to get the information of it as you mentioned and look it up. Thanks for the offer on the manual and I do have one. It says student though.

That restoration is gorgeous! I had seen it before but it still makes me drool every time I see it. What an amazing job he did on the paint and polish and the VFD is such a nice touch.

That's a nice Student Greg. I am hoping to put a DRO on mine eventually and never thought about it on the compound slide as well.

So I picked up some Tremclad dark green and white and mixed up what I think will do the job. It was odd how tough it is to match up to faded paint.
23986699374_3fb41be2fd_c.jpg

That looks near enough to me! You cannot match a faded colour because the fading will not be even all over the machine. I have just checked my manual, and it says "Colchester 6 x 24" Student and 12 x 24" Dominion" I think maybe the Dominion is the gap bed model because it will turn 12" in the gap. This has always confused me a bit!! If you look at the above restoration video, that one is badged "Dominion 13" but it is apparently NOT a gap bed. It does say on lathes.co.uk that most students were badged 6" but were actually built to the 6.5" standard. I will measure mine when I am next at the shop. I am still confused though it appears all Dominions are either 12" or 13", which has to be max diameter! According to the manual, the 6" Student will turn 12" diameter (Obviously) and the gap bed model will turn 18" in the gap If rated at "12" you would have thought that the centre height was 12" and it would turn 24" diameter. I am confused!!
Phil

I have Colchester dominion triumph (there were dominion models of both student and triumph) - (mine's 15x48). The dominion models had no gap and imperial only threading gear boxes. The sizing on the dominion refers to the maximum diameter that could be turned (USA convention), whereas the standard gap bed models were described by the centre height (UK convention).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve, I can feel the fog clearing!!! I have a roundhead Student Mk1 6" straight bed, with english and metric screwcutting. The fact that the Dominion comes in 12" and 13" will be down to very early models being 6" centre height, and later, mine included (I think) being 6.5" CH. Thanks for your post, I have "advanced a tech level"
Phil.

Through another one at you, my gap bed Student was badged Dominion.

Greg

Back