What is the best general purpose Scotch Brite wheel?

lesrhorer

Registered
Registered
There are rather large array of Scotch Brite wheels out there. I want to get one for general polishing and deburring of mild to moderately hard steels on one of my bench grinders. It is an 8" grinder with a 5/8" arbor. Recommendations?

There are rather large array of Scotch Brite wheels out there. I want to get one for general polishing and deburring of mild to moderately hard steels on one of my bench grinders. It is an 8" grinder with a 5/8" arbor. Recommendations?
I haven't used one, but BladesIIB posted a thread yesterday, "Setting up and using new Tapmatic PX30. He was using this wheel:
3M 64900 General Deburring Wheel - Max RPM: 6000, 6X1X1", Grade: 9S FIN https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXNPMT...abc_1JQ5EZKQD9G5N1YXB9NF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I recently bought one and decided on silicon carbide abrasive with “smooth surface texture” (the coarsest of the three available) and a hard density (the middle choice). This was working McMaster’s categories. Zoro uses different categories but you can start to get an idea of how they work. I believe in Zoro’s system I’d buy a Medium grade, Medium density.

Oh - here's a useful thread to read.

I don't have experience with a bunch of different brands, but I do have a Scotch-Brite EXL silicone carbide wheel in 8S medium grit on my 6-7" grinder and love it. It is fantastic for deburring parts and hard to mess up even if you lean into the wheel a bit. I came across the recommendation from Joe P. on YouTube; he goes over a few different wheels that he likes.

I have this one and it cuts quickly and leaves a beautiful satin finish. I wouldn't want much more aggressive for the light deburring I do.

3M Scotch-Brite Cut and Polish Wheel 05182, 6" x 1/2 x 1" 5A FIN

I have the 8" medium, aluminum oxide convolute wheel.
I believe the convolute wheels last longer but do cost a bit more.
These wheels are amazing!!
You'll love them.

I have a medium and fine mounted on my grinder. I find myself using the medium mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back