what is the Grizzly (or other brand) equivalent for an Enco 92010 12 x 24 lathe?

DO NOT BUY GRIZZLY G9249 PARTS TO REPLACE ENCO 92010/30 PARTS! I ordered a worm bracket for the apron, a worm gear, and a back gear. They were all wrong. The bracket had a different hole pattern, the worm gear was a 17t instead of a 19t, and the back gear was 58/21 instead of 52/22. This is getting frustrating trying to find replacement parts for the 92010.

In my frustration, i've done some pretty extensive internet searching, and found that Jet 1024 and 1236 s/p models are the most similar, but the parts are still slightly different. For example, the back gear has a bore size around 2mm larger than the 92010 is measuring. Not sure where to go from here. Any help is appreciated. Joesosnowski1@gmail

I have an older Grizzly 12x24 (DF1224G), and spent some time looking for similar units when I first got it. FYI, here's a list of 12x24, 12x36 and 12x37 lathes I've accumulated information on. When searching for parts, it's helpful to download the manuals and carefully look at the pictures. Some of this info is redundant with what Joesnow and others have posted, but I'm including my entire list. Best wishes!

GRIZZLY - DF1224G, G1003, G4002 (year 2000 and year 2014 manuals slightly different), G4003G, G9249 (12x37), G0750G (12x36)
ENCO - 411-0105, 110-2034
LAM (Lantaine Machinery Co., Ltd., Taiwan) - 350BH
JET - 1236P(Y) (12x36)

Cautionary note - Companies occasionally switch suppliers, or make improvements to the same model lathe, so parts for even the same model number might not interchange in all cases.

DO NOT BUY GRIZZLY G9249 PARTS TO REPLACE ENCO 92010/30 PARTS!

Old thread I know, but in case anyone is searching for Enco 92010 parts, I have this one part-finding success to share.

Mine came to me with one tooth broken on a spur gear in the apron, the one that sticks out the back and meshes with the "rack" under the bed ways. The Enco part number for the spur gear is "92010 - 246", Name = "Gear"

I bought the corresponding part for the Grizz G9249 — part # is "P9249336", name = "GEAR SHAFT 16 X 116T"

the Grizz part had one dimension that was too long. From the toothy part to where it necks down to the shaft diameter, it was maybe 4 mm longer than the Enco.

If I'd had a working lathe, I might have turned that pedestal length down to match the Enco, but I found it expedient to just reduce the height of the apron casting there by the needed amount. See second attachment. I just hand-filed it, no particular precision needed AFAIK. Also the Grizz part has sort of a spool shape, reduced diameter in the middle, and if I reduced the length of that by 4 mm, I'd have been getting into the smaller diameter part of the spool. Maybe that would have been fine too, but I can say my mod is 100% functional, with very little effort expended. I had it apart for cleaning anyway, which is how I found the broken tooth.

Strangely, the lathe seemed to work fine even with the broken tooth. I didn't test it much before buying and carting it home, but I did turn a 12" test bar to look for taper or any other problems that might show. I guess that spur gear must have more than one tooth engaged at all times, and the teeth on either side of the broken one were doing the work? Whatever crash caused the tooth to break seems to not have done any other damage. The rack that engages this gear seems completely fine.

Moral of the story, G9249 parts might work, or be close enough to make a working part out of.

PS, my 92010 manual lists two variants, 10x24" and 12x36", but mine is 12x24". Most dimensions and parts are the same between the two, with the obvious difference being the head and tailstock are 1" taller on the 12" swing. About the only other difference I see is the 36" models have larger-diameter feed rod and leadscrew. Makes sense, since they have a longer span. And of course the corresponding parts in the apron such as the split nut have to match the feed/leadscrew diameters, so maybe the apron on the 36" is different in other ways too, to make room? And the pillow block (is that the word?) that holds the tail ends of the feed and leadscrew.

Strangely, I have two parts lists, one with Enco numbers and the other with no branding, probably from whatever factory actually makes them. Neither one has different part #s for the larger and smaller parts (leadscrew etc.) Even the headstock and tailstock are given the same part #, no indication of whether it's for the 10" or 12" swing. Just one of life's little mysteries.

Mark in Seattle

Attachments

• the broken Enco part.jpg
    the broken Enco part.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Grizzly part I modded to fit.jpg
    Grizzly part I modded to fit.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 20
I have a need for an owner's manual and/or parts list for an Enco 92010 12x24 lathe and want to know what the equivalent lathe is in a Grizzly to see how much parts cost or if they are even available. Useenco.com doesn't seem to be working and MSC Direct wasn't easily searchable.

Can anyone direct me to the right place? Thanks!
That appears to be the same at the Precision Mathews PM1236T

That appears to be the same at the Precision Mathews PM1236T
Looks to be 100% different to me. I'd be surprised if any parts interchanged. As a 92010 owner, I'd be pleased to be wrong about that!

Looks to be 100% different to me. I'd be surprised if any parts interchanged. As a 92010 owner, I'd be pleased to be wrong about that!
I missed the fact that he was looking for parts when I wrote that, I thought he was looking at lathe options...

Back