What is the noise level of a PM-833T Gear Head

rogerl

Registered
Registered
I currently have a belt driven Enco 105-1110 mill drill. I have had it for 20 + years. I am looking to upgrade to a gear head machine. I have read on this forum that the PM-833T head is rather noisy running at high speeds. Some also say the head gets hot. I would be running the unit mostly at 800 RPM. How loud is it running at 800 RPM and 1500 RPM? Does anyone have any video of of a PM-833 running at 800 and 1500 RPM ? I have searched and could not find any you-tube videos of the PM-833T. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I live south of Cleveland, Ohio. Is there someone in the North East Ohio area with a PM-833T that I could come and take a look?

Thanks
Roger L

A video won't help much since both the recording and playback levels are unknown. Unless someone has both or has heard both, it's going to be extremely subjective to quantify. Agree that hearing it in person is the best way forward.

It’s a little louder than my 727V, but not really much different than my 1340GT lathe at 300-450

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up ordering a PM-925TS. I should have it next week.

Roger L

I had always wanted a knee mill. I started poking around on the internet and somehow found the Precision Mathews web page. The 935 had lots of very nice features and it was a size that would fit into my shop. I decided to go for it. It looks to be a very nice machine. Lots of people on this forum have them and do some VERY nice work with them.

Roger L

I am about a year into machine tools. The idea to buy as big as your space and budget allow is sound. I have a driveway 60’ long with a 15 degree slope. It’s too steep for any trailer or large truck—they all bottom out. So the only way to get anything heavy into the garage is with my pickup.

I was able to get the 1340 GT lathe and 833T mill into my garage. The only way to get anything bigger is to have it on some kind of dolly, run a strap to my pickup, and tow it into the garage—like we did with the 2150 lb gun safe.

That said, a 1340GT and 833T isn’t really a limiting compromise for gunsmithing........

Back