What is the toolpost T-nut size required for 1340GT?

diamond

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am about to purchase an Aloris BXA tool post for the 1340GT I am anxiously awaiting delivery on.

Aloris standard is:
BXA 5/8” 2-1/4”

I've sent a note off to QMT but I bet someone here can answer this real quick. Just want to confirm it takes that standard before I order.

Also sorry if this is answered elsewhere. I did some searching & found great info on tool posts but not an answer to this direct question.

Thanks!

I can't remember off hand the dimensions of the T nut slot. My Dorian BXA came with a blank nut and I machined it to machine the lathe's T nut slot for a nice snug fit. Quick work once you have a mill.

Chevy

The 1340GT T-Slot is approximately 2" wide x 5/8" tall x 3" long. The standard T-nut is typically supplied is a bit oversized to accommodate it being machined to fit as this can vary from machine to machine.

I purchased an Aloris tool post for my PM1340GT from Matt at QMT. They machined the nut to fit before shipping it out. His price for the tool post was very reasonable.

I am about to purchase an Aloris BXA tool post for the 1340GT I am anxiously awaiting delivery on.

Aloris standard is:
BXA 5/8” 2-1/4”

I've sent a note off to QMT but I bet someone here can answer this real quick. Just want to confirm it takes that standard before I order.

Also sorry if this is answered elsewhere. I did some searching & found great info on tool posts but not an answer to this direct question.

Thanks!

Here is what I measured on my PM 1340GT. This is the nut, not the slot dimensions.

IMG_0225.JPG

On a further note you may be able to use the T-nut that comes with the 1340. You may have to cut a new T-post stud (I did that on mine).

I also bought my Aloris from Matt with the PM-1340GT and he machined the nut as well.

Thanks all for the replies. You can see how much of a noob I am at this and how much I've got to learn. Appreciate this site for that! I understand now it's pretty much standard to mill to fit the machine. I may go ahead and get the Aloris from Matt then so it can be shipped with the lathe.

I suggest making your own t-nuts to fit the ways like you want them to fit. Store bought ones are compromise sized to fit many machines. Use common mild steel, do not harden them. Hardened t-nuts can damage t-slots. Round and deburr all edges and corners carefully and well. T-slots are part of the precision of the machine, and dinging, scratching, and distorting them damages the machine. Nicks, dings, swarf, rust, grime, and burs also make the slots more frustrating to use. Take care of those nice new slots! You do not mention if you are a newbie on a milling machine, but if so then making some t-nuts is a great first project to get used to using the machine.

Last edited:
Definitely a newbie across the board when it comes to machining. Thanks for the advice Bob.

Back