What is this beast?

chiroone

Registered
Registered
Does anybody have any idea what this beast is. Reported to be a Southbend, I saw it on craigslist and I called the owner and he knows virtually nothing about it. He tells me he thinks it’s 8 feet long. With all those open belts, it has to be an older model. Any info would be appreciated. He’s wanting something like $1500 but I could probably get it less

5D9096ED-B58D-4DFA-AAC4-64639BE75D90.jpeg

Last edited:
It is a south bend and it is quite old. as long as the ways aren't worn out it could be a useful machine. It's a little rusty but could be cleaned up, looks like the paint has been kept up. Worth a look if you can get it cheap, see if you can run it. I would take it apart to move it though.
8' long...........I wonder what the swing is?

I would not turn my nose up at it as some might, but just the same, its all about condition, condition, condition; if it is in good condition with regard for wear, it could be useful, but I think the price is too high; half would be a good starting point.

I am with Greg on this one. As long as the ways are okay, I'd consider it.(....if I had the space of course! :()
-brino

The QC gear box dates it the early 1920’s, maybe a bit earlier. I think that style gear box stuck around until the 1930’s on some machines. Look for an inspection plate on the end of thegesr cover mounted on the headstock - if the plate is still attached, it will tell you the swing, length and which catalog number that SB originally listed it for sale. Might be a SN on the tail end somewhere, but the catalog number will be the defining criteria for determining age (SB had several different numbering schemes over the years, but only one sequential catalog number series).

Don’t let anyone tell you this is a boat anchor just because of its age. My SB 9 x 48 was made in 1924 and it still has original scrape marks along the bed and crosss slide. It’s still as tight and solid as the day it was sold. These old barn finds are still around- and some are in excellent condition.

Yet Many are clapped out, certainly. So when you go look, do a T/I for wear on the bed and under the tailstock. And try to pin down what the owner knows about it’s history. If it’s been in the family, sitting under a tarp in the garage for 80 years, might be a very nice machine!

Glenn

My 1918 South Bend makes parts good enough for me. It’s a 13 x 7ft, but no QCGB (I do have all the change gears). The apron controls are the same but the 4 attachment points on top are a little different (those seem heavier duty).
Mine does not have that cool drive unit on top. It has a previous owner made unit with the cone pulley and leather belt.
The only identifier mine has is the serial number on the far right side. Also have the thick cast brass tags but no id numbers on them.
I paid $300 for mine, but needed a lot of love aesthetically.

Pictures, man, Pictures. Them’s the rules! Pictures or it didn’t happen. :D

I’ve seen that interesting drive unit before also, but can’t remember in what context. I know my 1924 SB catalog shows these lathes still with overhead head belt systems. In many parts of America, electrification had not yet happened during the ‘20’s, particularity the rural areas, so SB, indeed most other machinery vendors, still offered belt systems as well as various electric motor drive options. Maybe the overhead motor mount is in the catalog. I’ll have to dig it out and look...

Glenn

Last edited:
Back