What is this part?

618fan

Registered
Registered
I got this in a box of Atlas 618 lathe parts. The shank is 1/2" straight. The circular face is concave and the piece that screws into it is convex.

20180622_134001.jpg

Probably home made for a buffing polishing wheel.

Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to mention it's got the Craftsman logo on it. I was also thinking a sanding/buffing/grinding disc but why would you want the concave face?

I'm wondering if it was for mounting a grinding wheel, not a buffing mop? Those are typically slightly hollow on the side of the flange contacting the wheel. A rather horrifying thought, mind you, to mount an abrasive wheel on your shiny new lathe!

I looked through my old Atlas machines catalogue after your first post and couldn't see an identical part. I'll have another look though -- it certainly seems like something that might have been offered as an accessory.

-frank

Could be for sanding disks. It would force the disk into a shallow cup shape to make the edge work better?
Pierre

Yeah maybe. I think my earlier idea of a grinding wheel is probably out of whack. Misinterpreted the size of the item, I think it'd be too small for a grinding wheel.

-frank

Thanks all for your suggestions which led me to the Home Depot where I found a thing called a "Grinding Disc with Type 27 Depressed Center". The depressed center allows for flush grinding of a part against the face. The dimensions are wrong for my mount (and I would never do grinding on a lathe or mill) but maybe that's what it's for. I think the mystery is solved.

"

Thanks all for your suggestions which led me to the Home Depot where I found a thing called a "Grinding Disc with Type 27 Depressed Center". The depressed center allows for flush grinding of a part against the face. The dimensions are wrong for my mount (and I would never do grinding on a lathe or mill) but maybe that's what it's for. I think the mystery is solved.

"
I got this in a box of Atlas 618 lathe parts. The shank is 1/2" straight. The circular face is concave and the piece that screws into it is convex.

View attachment 270333

I had one like that years ago, it was for holding a disc of abrasive paper in a hand held electric drill. It also came with a rubber backing pad to give the paper a bit of stiffness. i think these were popular before flap discs.

Back