What Is This Thing I Found?

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Hi guys,
I have a liquidator friend named Gary who often throws out into his scrap metal dumpster things that are perfectly good. He is more coneeded with selling the 10 Bridgeports he bought at auctions than to care about selling any vintage accessories he may have obtained from lot purchases. Anyways, when I do visit his warehouse, my shameless poor self goes dumpster diving. I found good stuff, such as a Qualtrex heated ultrasonic cleaner that works way better than my "made in china" larger ultrasonic cleaner, and a billion old lathe toolholders of all sizes. Anyways, here is one item I found that I need your help in identifying. It's pretty big and heavy. If you can also tell me if this would be desired by real machinists or by techie "hipsters" who want "industrial" items in their office or livingroom just to look cool, please let me know since I am hoping to sell this on ebay. I appreciate any feedback :)

Thanks,
Susan

20190619_101925.jpg20190619_102005.jpg20190619_102043.jpg20190619_102247.jpg

Looks like it has a large Morse taper on the rear, maybe a #5 or #6. As far as the front, I have no clue.

Looks almost like a microphone at first glance- I don't know what it is either

It looks like it is designed to drive whatever it is meant to hold, via the bar feature at the fat end of the shank, likely fits a slot on a tool it drives. It is somewhat like an arbor to drive a face mill.

Not with a drive setup in it like that, I wouldn't think. That looks like a drive arbor for a horizontal-to-vertical mill drive or something like - it's designed to transmit a fairly considerable amount of power in my opinion.

There's a lot of tasty steel there...not a bad addition to the scrap bin.

Back