what2.1.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 67
  • what2.2.JPG
    what2.2.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 64
  • what2.3.JPG
    what2.3.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 70
A homemade die handle. Made out of what ever was laying around.

The die appears to be marked 5/16-40. This isn't a very common thread. Is there something that this thread was used for that might help identify this tool?

The die appears to be marked 5/16-40. This isn't a very common thread. Is there something that this thread was used for that might help identify this tool?
That is a good guess but they happened to have 2 of the exact same thing so we know it wasn't a one-off.

The most references I found to 5/16"-40 thread are "Model Engineer Thread". When I first looked at the picture I thought the die was made by "ACE" but it is actually "A & F". I did also find a reference to some form of 5/16"-40 being used for some gun cleaning rods. Is it possible that A&F = Abercrombie & Fitch? Before their more recent incarnation as a fashion store Abercrombie & Fitch sold fancy sporting goods like seriously expensive shot guns. Does anyone know of another "A&F" that made tools?

Yeah, it's a "model engineer" thread. 32 and 40tpi across the board. It's more or less an informal standard, but quite nice to work with when single pointing many different parts on old change gear lathes.

The most references I found to 5/16"-40 thread are "Model Engineer Thread". When I first looked at the picture I thought the die was made by "ACE" but it is actually "A & F". I did also find a reference to some form of 5/16"-40 being used for some gun cleaning rods. Is it possible that A&F = Abercrombie & Fitch? Before their more recent incarnation as a fashion store Abercrombie & Fitch sold fancy sporting goods like seriously expensive shot guns. Does anyone know of another "A&F" that made tools?
Thanks CluelessNewB. The store had 2 of these for a buck a piece.

Back