What is this tool for

I agree, he wont, but then I never stated he would. I did not quote a price either. I just stated what they cost. Some are much less, some more. Please read my post above yours.

"Billy G"

Yep, you posted your response while I was writing mine...

I was going make another post on this subject last night. After reading those already on the subject I decided what I had to offer had already been covered so I attempted to delete the one I had in progress. Now every time I come to this thread my unfinished post appears asking if I want to post it. I don't seem to be able to delete it so I edited it to ask how I can delete a post in progress in the future. What am I missing.

Dave
What is the 6 PI spec for?
What info would I list on EBAY to sell this thing?
Thanks
Aaron

My guess is it's 6 Circular Pitch (tooth pitch in teeth per inch measured around the pitch circle, rather than Diametral pitch where the pitch is in teeth per inch of the pitch diameter across it) - an advantage is if you come to cutting worm wheels, the worms driving them are straight TPI threads rather than DP threads with a factor of Pi in 'em... You can confirm with a thread gauge, if it's 6 TPI along the hob (or very close, allowing some Cosine error for the 3-degree lead, about a part in a thousand!) then it's 6 CP.

As for what to list on EvilBay, pass, I never manage to sell anything! Take a look at other gear hob listings for suggestions?

Dave H. (the other one)

He won't get that for a used one. Those prices are for new. My friend Eric at Bryce Gear pays those prices and sometimes nore.

"Billy G"

I know, I was just going on at the OP. Maybe the humor was missed. Most people are like me and wouldn't pay scrap price for it with no machine to use it. Maybe the OP can get lucky and get 20 bucks to spend on something useful and some buyer get a great deal as well. Win, win.

I was not affended. One mans junk is another mans treasure.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Never saw a gear cutter with what appear to be 55-60 degree "V" teeth. They are definitely not shaped like involute cutters. The tips and the gullets of the Vs are rounded and the flanks look straight. And why does it show H-2, which is a thread class? Also it says on it "6 P.I. Whit." Six pitch per inch Whitworth? Still guessing...
H2 likely is the type of HSS the tool is made of; this is a common marking for tools of this sort.

That very well could be a thread hob for cutting internal/external threads. This would be used on a old Lees Brander thread mill or a old Smalley-General thread mill.

I'll stick with gear hob!

Back