What is this type of bolt called?

problematique

Registered
Registered
I’ve called them flag bolts or flag screws but i guess i’m wrong. Can someone please tell me the proper name for these? I almost have my mill project up and running minus a few of these to lock each axis as i need. Thanks in advance!image.jpg

That is called a leaf bolt.

Edit: You know, McMaster-Carr carried them before COVID. Now I can't find them on their site. And the search turns up Nissan Leaf vs. Chevy Bolt this year. Maybe adding "knob" or "thumbscrew" to the search will kick it up a notch. Hey, back in 1897, everybody knew what a leaf bolt was!

Last edited:
Make 'em.

Doesn't look too hard of a job.

You can use an existing bolt of proper thread and size, lop off the hex, slit the bolt shank with a slitting saw and then just make up the appropriate sized "handle" and pin it in place.

easy peasy.

@problematique ,

In case you have not encountered those handles suggested by @wachuko above.......

It is not obvious by looking at them, but they have an internal feature that allow you to "clock" the handle to any position you need.
You simply pull the handle out, turn it to where you want it to point, and let it spring back into lock.

They call them Adjustable Handles at McMaster-Carr:
https://www.mcmaster.com/machine-handles/

Brian

I thought they were called flag bolts. Several years ago I spent way too much time trying to find what the marketing departments called them such that I could buy some. Was never able to come up with a name or a vendor.

Finally gave up and went the the adjustable lever and\or ball handle style that wachuko recommended. Turned out to be a better solution anyway.

In case you have not encountered those handles suggested by @wachuko above.......
These are nice but for light duty applications only . I replace these every night as the aluminum insides strips out easily . We have a bunch of gorillas tightening these things . :grin: They are used on friction locks for stops .

I did some digging trying to find some, and came up with nothing. I've always heard these referred to as "flag bolt" the nuts are similar
flagbolt.jpg

Back