[4]

What is this used for

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hey guys
Can anyone tell me what this is and used for. I found it in some loose tools I bought from a guy. I think I have some sort of an idea how to use it but on the other hand I think I am totally wrong.
20180706_113617.jpg

francist

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Pump gasket cutter. Fits in a brace and cuts leather gaskets for water pumps (hand operated farm type pumps).

-frank

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
So is the item not complete as it is here?

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Because you talk about a brace

francist

Active User
Hand brace, as in "brace and bit" common to carpenters. That's the only device that use the tapered square shank like that.
Your device would be complete as is, but it does require that one has a brace to make it work. Kinda like having a drill bit with no drill. :)

-frank

francist

Active User
When I was growing up that's all my dad used was a brace. No electric drill until I got one in the mid '70's. Man did those things make you sweat, especially with a less-than-sharp auger bit which all of ours were. I always remember that the words "brace" and "bit" were used so exclusively together that I thought they were one word. Like "braceanbit" or something. Go get the braceanbit, ok Dad....

-frank

image.jpeg

Last edited:

NortonDommi

Registered
Registered
I have a few braces of different ages, still have a place and the best tool to drill a hole or drive a screw up close to a stud. I wouldn't be without one around a boat either.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
The best thing about a brace and bit is that it is quiet. I often choose one for just that reason. I get up early and don't want to wake the neighbors or ruin the tranquility of the morning. Hand tools are satisfying.

It is also nice that the bits can be easily sharpened with hand files, again with no noise...

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
When I was growing up that's all my dad used was a brace. No electric drill until I got one in the mid '70's. Man did those things make you sweat, especially with a less-than-sharp auger bit which all of ours were. I always remember that the words "brace" and "bit" were used so exclusively together that I thought they were one word. Like "braceanbit" or something. Go get the braceanbit, ok Dad....

-frank

View attachment 271294
I like your memory you shared

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
The best thing about a brace and bit is that it is quiet. I often choose one for just that reason. I get up early and don't want to wake the neighbors or ruin the tranquility of the morning. Hand tools are satisfying.

It is also nice that the bits can be easily sharpened with hand files, again with no noise...
One of my neighbors said that he always knew when I was in the shop because of random hammering, machines, and other noises starting at 9:00 am. I told him I was actually in the shop before 7:00 am, but saved up the noisy stuff until after 9:00 am. I offered to make noise earlier if he would like that better, he declined...

Flat fender

Swarf
Registered
The "Brace" is the original "Cordless Drill".......

Asm109

Registered
Registered
Brace and bit, brings back childhood memories. I have always loved working with my hands. As a kid I wanted to build things and not just when Dad was home to supervise. There was no way he was letting a 10 year old handle power tools so he dug out his father's tools and taught me how to use a brace and bit and a rip and cross cut saw. My poor 10 year old toothpick arms sure got sore trying to turn a 2x4 into a toy boat.
Fast forward 40 years and my kids could not care less about making things. :(

middle.road

Actively Learning...
I really enjoy using braces along with my collection of 40-some-odd 'egg-beater' drills. Along with hand planes...
Braces are handy around the machine tools, have a c'sink cutter chucked up. Makes quick work of de-burring holes.

U

umahunter

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Lol that was one of my first drils I also had the long screw driver that you pushed down on to make it turn

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
Even work good for deburring holes in metal . Just mount a chamfer or other deburring cutter. Quick spin good pressure control to cut clean too.

[6]
[5] [7]