What is this used for

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hey guys
Can anyone tell me what this is and used for. I found it in some loose tools I bought from a guy. I think I have some sort of an idea how to use it but on the other hand I think I am totally wrong.
20180706_113617.jpg

Hand brace, as in "brace and bit" common to carpenters. That's the only device that use the tapered square shank like that.
Your device would be complete as is, but it does require that one has a brace to make it work. Kinda like having a drill bit with no drill. :)

-frank

When I was growing up that's all my dad used was a brace. No electric drill until I got one in the mid '70's. Man did those things make you sweat, especially with a less-than-sharp auger bit which all of ours were. I always remember that the words "brace" and "bit" were used so exclusively together that I thought they were one word. Like "braceanbit" or something. Go get the braceanbit, ok Dad....

-frank

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a few braces of different ages, still have a place and the best tool to drill a hole or drive a screw up close to a stud. I wouldn't be without one around a boat either.

The best thing about a brace and bit is that it is quiet. I often choose one for just that reason. I get up early and don't want to wake the neighbors or ruin the tranquility of the morning. Hand tools are satisfying.

It is also nice that the bits can be easily sharpened with hand files, again with no noise...

When I was growing up that's all my dad used was a brace. No electric drill until I got one in the mid '70's. Man did those things make you sweat, especially with a less-than-sharp auger bit which all of ours were. I always remember that the words "brace" and "bit" were used so exclusively together that I thought they were one word. Like "braceanbit" or something. Go get the braceanbit, ok Dad....

-frank

View attachment 271294
I like your memory you shared

The best thing about a brace and bit is that it is quiet. I often choose one for just that reason. I get up early and don't want to wake the neighbors or ruin the tranquility of the morning. Hand tools are satisfying.

It is also nice that the bits can be easily sharpened with hand files, again with no noise...
One of my neighbors said that he always knew when I was in the shop because of random hammering, machines, and other noises starting at 9:00 am. I told him I was actually in the shop before 7:00 am, but saved up the noisy stuff until after 9:00 am. I offered to make noise earlier if he would like that better, he declined...

Back